Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Sunday Church

I finally began laughing 10 minutes before the end of the service.  It was when I took an envelope, grabbed a crayon, and began writing down all the things that had gone "wrong" within Sprick nation in the pew.  Here is my list.

Crying 3x (Three kids cried at some point during the service.  Noel cried because she kept writing "G" when she meant to write "C" while trying to spell "Sprick" in the Friendship Register. )
Whining
Kicking
Dropping Pappers; 3x 4x  5x  6x
mint (continually asking for a pink peppermint!)
cookies (Michael began asking if there would be cookies during the offering.  He did it as least 4 more times.  He kept on holding up his first finger indicating he knew he could only take 1.  At least that wasn't an issue.)
Sitting on lap (Michael and Penny fought over my lap-several times)
singing (Michael refused to stand up at one point and then sang in the middle of the sermon)
2 Papers  Drama over not being allowed to take more than two children's bulletins.
ARAR--Pastor George asked us to say this word.  Penny said it rather loudly 2 seconds after everyone else.

The icing on the church cake was when Noel went into a huge funk over the letter "C" and then began sobbing.  I asked her to get out of it and she refused.  I then dramatically wrote "Noel Punishment" in black ink pen on the palm of my hand so that I could remember (please tell me I'm not the only parent to have forgotten to give out a promised consequence!)  Michael saw me write on my hand and then took his marker and wrote all over his.  Oh Shanda.  Not only did I have to hide the palm of my left hand from all the other saints in the church, but now my son has red marker everywhere because I was a shining example.  ((sigh))

When I began laughing it all seemed o.k.  I was still a bit embarrassed about distracting the folks around us from worship.  Then again, they did promise at our children's baptisms (Michael hasn't been baptized yet, but I think he is included) to help us raise our children.  Surely they know that not every kid is going to behave in church all the time.  Sprick Nation raised the stakes by taking five ducks to church.

The takeaway?  I still learned a few things from the sermon (though I missed most of it I think).  I still loved singing.  I love sitting with my family.  My kids want to sit on my lap.  I used to ask for more peppermints too.  I didn't have any trouble with Garrison.  Someday Gary and I will be sitting with just the two of us in church and we'll look with wonder and a touch of envy at a young family in front of us.  And finally, writing "punishment" on your hand might not be the best thing to do ever--next time use code.  :)

2 comments:

Dominique said...

Our Sunday was not quite like that but was made very interesting. Sutton and Eli were baptized. Craig was giving the Children's message and I was holding Sutton. He pushed off from the baptismal font and I fell up the steps while still holding on to him. Then as we are being asked the questions by an elder Sutton ripped my glasses off my face and threw them down. Both Sutton and Eli started yelling while we were up front. I figured we gave our whole church a great view of what their pastor's family is like at home. I made the people laugh and they still promised to raise our children in the faith.

one blessed mama said...

this post is awesome.
nuff said.