Wednesday, January 21, 2015

January 21

This is our 20th day of no spend January.  I'm loving it.  Really.

I've enjoyed the challenge of creating meals with what we have in the house.  I'm amazed at how much we have. . .it is almost embarrassing.  How many times have I put leftovers or half of the chicken from a family size pack into a rubbermaid and put it into the freezer?  TOO MANY!  I'm discovering these packages and enjoying the challenge of creating a meal with them.  Plus, with our ability to buy bread, milk, eggs and fresh produce, I think I could keep on going for another month.  I won't. :)  We have enjoyed laughing as a family at one bowl of butterscotch pudding and another of vanilla as sides one night.  The frozen peaches are finally being used in smoothies.  I found a wonderful BBQ sauce recipe that I prefer over store bought.  My first attempt at making taco sauce was a bust, but I'll be trying another one on Thursday night.  Hopefully I'll love that more than Ortega and we can make the switch.  I'm loving it.

Second, my kids have stopped asking for stuff.  The boys came home with a book order and I listened as they debated what book they were going to get.  One of them finally remembered that I wouldn't be giving them any money and they shrugged and put the papers in the recycling.  They didn't need a new book.  They moved on and it was great.  Requests to go out for dinner have disappeared as have begging to go and do things that cost money.  Instead, sledding and playing games have grown in popularity and I'm loving that too!

Third, my children have gone without and discovered that they will survive.  We ran out of juice last week.  Oh no!  They are fine and aren't even mentioning that they don't have a cup of juice for breakfast.  If the circumstances had been different, I would have been reminded every morning that there was no juice.  Ah. . .a little peace.

I ran into my first drawback this week when I saw the ad in the newspaper for Meijer.  It is their 10 items for 10 dollars sale with the 11th item being free.  When this sale comes along I stock up!  It was hard to put the ad away and know that I was missing out on good deals.  I have to remind myself that they will come along again--in about 6 to 8 weeks.  We will be fine.  I can keep on being creative.

Instead of going with a friend to a restaurant, she came to my house and we had popcorn.  Delicious and cheap.

I'm quickly deleting all of the good deals that flood my e-mail every morning.  There will be good deals again.  It is amazing how quickly I go through my inbox.

I am getting a haircut next week.  We are celebrating Michael's baptism on February 1 and I'd like to look my best.  The pictures will last a lifetime and I'd love to feel good about myself.  I'm not buying a new outfit though.  It took me awhile to work through that one.

We have 10 more days to go and that doesn't even seem intimidating.  I'm learning and l'm loving what I'm learning.  

I am out of Kashi that I put into my yogurt.  I'll be one of my first purchases.

1 comment:

clenters said...

I like you. I like the way you think, I like the way you write. Thanks for letting me see into your world and for inspiring me to be a better person. Thanks for giving me a reason to smile when I see something orange.