Monday, December 8, 2008

Facebook

Are you on facebook? I am. Yup, I said it, and now I'm even saying it proudly. There was a time when I was almost apologetic for being on facebook. I fought joining for quite awhile. I'd get an e-mail stating that someone wanted to be my friend. Yeah! Guess what, they are already my friend. My limit was five requests, and when it came to number five, I joined.

I love it. I love it that I've reconnected with classmates from high school. I love it that I've reconnected with friends and roommates from college. I love it that I get little snippets, pictures, and updates from the friends that I see occasionally as well as the friends that I see and talk with often. I feel connected. I feel like I'm aware. I'm able to pray for my friends. I'm able to laugh with my friends. I am in "the know" baby.

I am not addicted. I know there are those who have a hard time getting away from facebook, who need to give eighteen updates a day, who need to comment on every picture that one of their friends post. I don't need to do that. Sometimes I just don't want to communicate. Guess what? That's o.k.

Gary and I have been having facebook discussions lately. Why do I want to be on it? Why doesn't he want to be on it? He can tease me about it, but he is also very supportive of my being on facebook--just make sure the kids are safe at all times. He enjoys, for the most part, when I share some info that I've gleaned from my time spent at the computer. I don't always share with him where my friends are at--Debbie--I still like the frosting on the cupcake. Gary doesn't need to be in on that. Is my time spent wisely?

Yes and no. No-there are times when I do spend too much time. I should have cleaned the bathroom. I should have read Dr. Suess again. I should have walked on the treadmill. I should have gone to bed. I'm learning, but aren't we learning all the time? The key is if you do something with the learning. Yes--I have relationships that I have been lacking with my being at home with three kids full time. I feel closer to the heart of many of my friends. I am walking (via computer) with some folks who may be going through hard times. I am having fun. It is fun. Fun fun fun. I enjoy having fun during my day, in a variety of ways.

If you are reading this and aren't on facebook, do you want to be my friend?

No comments: