Monday, December 1, 2008

Three weeks

Three weeks ago an adorable little boy walked into a room where I was waiting for him. Three weeks ago. Three weeks. It seems like such a short time ago, and as Gary said this morning, a lifetime. In three weeks time, we have been in three countries. We have traveled in a myriad of ways. We have increased our family by twenty percent. We have recovered from jet-lag. . . twice. We have spoken in church. We have survived. We have laughed. We have cried. It has been a long time since I have done so very much in three weeks. It has been a blessing.

I'm excited to think that in three more weeks, things will be even better. Yes, we are doing great. Yes, Simon is adjusting better than we could have hoped. Yes, I love him. Yes, I'm excited for the next three weeks to be done. I want our family to function better. I want Simon to be able to communicate in the way that he wants to. I want Garrison to know that he is a big boy and doesn't need to act like a little boy. I want Noel to not want me so much. I want to cuddle with Gary on the couch for a hour. I want to cook. (Don't get me wrong, I'm so thankful for the meals in the freezer from generous friends as well as the twenty bucks for pizza some night, but I really enjoy cooking.) I want to be on the helping end rather than the receiving end.

I know that these things will happen. Like I said, I'm very grateful, but I'm eager for the next phase. I want Simon to know that we are here and we will take care of him. He doesn't need to throw a tantrum or pull his hair out. I want Garrison to put on his clothes. I want Noel to let go of my leg. I'm so thankful for my God who in the midst of this gives me what I need for the moment. This morning was especially trying. . . for about an hour straight. It is my first day home alone and in the midst of that hour, I asked God over and over and over and over for help with one issue, then another issue, then another. Know what? He gave me what I needed for each moment. If I had known it was going to be an hour, I don't think I would have done as well. I think God is going to surprise me even more in the next three weeks. I'll let you know. :)

1 comment:

one blessed mama said...

my dear, dear shanda...
oh the emotions you must be feeling! this motherhood is quite the 'gig' isn't it?? hang in there honey. it's ok to cry, that's what us chicks do. God is going to carry you through this. i'm So proud of you and your kids, someday will see what an amazing mom you're been. i want you to know i'm sending up a prayer for you today. you are so loved!!!
traci :)