Thursday, February 5, 2009

Yeah baby!

I'm going on a date. Tonight.

Isn't that exciting? I put out the plea to my family over e-mail last week. Please, Gary and I would like to go on a date. We have three adorable yet active children. Can any of you help? My mom called this morning. I'm going on a date. Tonight!!!

I really like this guy. We met on eharmony. You know. . . those cheesy commercials. Yup. That is us. It was a bit taboo at the time. I told my mom, sister, and best friend that I was doing it. I didn't open up about it until things started to happen. It shocked some people. There were some at my church who were very concerned about the whole thing. Then, the Chicago Tribune did a story about us, and their attitudes changed. After all, if the Tribune spoke favorably about eharmony, there must be something good about it.

So now, we are married. We got married nine months after we met, got pregnant with Garrison five months later. . . and we need to go on a date. Did you know that we have three kids? We haven't been out with just the two of us for over three months. I'm excited. I have a date tonight.

I get to spend several uninterrupted hours with my man. I love him tons. I think he is sexy. I think he's intelligent. He's a good dad. He's a great husband. He drives me crazy at times, but the things that drive me crazy are also things that I love about him. For example, if some chore or task needs to be done and I mention it--he'll drop what he's doing and take care of it right away. I love it that it gets done, but I need to be careful when I mention things to him. We are cuddling. . . all right, we are collapsed on the couch and I mention that we need a photo for pre-school tomorrow. Gary is gone. . . off to print the photo at this moment. It drives me nuts that he can fall asleep before I'd be done writing this sentence. Chatting in bed? Nope. I struggle to fall asleep and I'd like him to feel my pain, to help me relax. . . he is sleeping. Yet, he'll get up with the kids at night because he knows that if I get up, I won't be able to get back to sleep. How is that for love? Boy, did I get a good one.

So tonight, I get to go out on a date. I know where he'll want to go to eat. I could pick out two things from the menu that he'd enjoy. He could do the same for me. I will be surprised by the route that he takes. I will be surprised when he says something to me at dinner that makes me laugh. I know I'll laugh, he just always finds new ways to get me to do so. I love him, I know him, and yet I continue to learn more about him. Yup, I'm excited for my date tonight.

2 comments:

one blessed mama said...

have a wonderful, relaxing night tonight!! make sure your mom gets them all tucked in, in a sound, deep sleep before you get home cuz nothing ruins the 'good-romantic thing' you've got going on after a nice quiet dinner than 3 crying kids. (been there, done that) after all, you can't let the date night end when you get the check at the end of the meal...the best is yet to come! :)
we are also doing dinner tonight with friends at our house. i may just need to kick them out right at 9 so we can also have a wonderful, romantic date....just like the spricks!! :)
i'm so glad that you have found such a wonderful man. he is a gem. love you two oddles!

Babe said...

That was beautiful. I hope the date night was amazing. Great seeing you all last week.