Hello! Long time no see. I've had "blog" written on my to-do list several times this week, but hey. . . things happen. Friends from Chicago visiting are visiting for the week-end and everyone is off to see the Lego movie. . . everyone except for Penny and I. She is napping and I find myself alone with a clean house, dishwasher going and dryer almost done. Time to blog.
Last week-end our small group from church came over for pizza. Our house was full of folks and noise. . .wonderful. Everyone was asked to bring along some craft supplies and after all the food had been consumed, the table was filled with papers, markers, stickers, crayons, glue and even some glitter. The glitter was then put away. In front of the sliding glass doors we had hung 23 manila envelopes with the names of the widows and widowers from our church--one on each envelope. Then the joyful chaos began. Valentines were created, signed, and tucked into envelopes. Some of the widows we knew, others were just a name to us. It didn't matter. God tells us in His Word to take care of the widows and we were going to do just that by giving them some love this Valentines Day. Interest waned and bedtime approached after about an hour, but it was enough. My kids added some special candy treats the next day and the valentines were ready to go.
For those who can attend church regularly, we placed the envelopes in their church mailboxes. Then I had the honor of delivering the rest. I went one night with my boys to the Zeeland nursing home residents. My boys did great. They really enjoyed taking turns carrying the valentines. We enjoyed meeting Roger Maat and being invited into his room and seeing pictures of his grandchildren. I had a wonderful conversation with the boys on the way out. "Why do you think he wanted us to come in and talk with him?" "Maybe he is lonely and doesn't have many people to talk with." "That could be. I might be here in this nursing home someday. I hope that you will come and visit me sometimes so I won't be alone." "Mom, you'll never be alone. God will always be with you." I'm so thankful for the work of the Lord through my sons.
Penny and I were able to deliver the last three envelopes to the nursing home residents in Holland on Friday morning. Though we had a wonderful experience with all three of the women we saw, there was one that was a highlight for me. We needed help finding Mrs. Evelyn Timmer. The nurse thought she might be sleeping, but we were welcome to check. Penny and I entered her room and she was sitting in her chair dozing, but not completely asleep. She had been roused by the nurse. I got down on one knee in front of her so that I could look into her eyes. Penny held the big envelope up right in front of her face (yup, we need a little practice here). I took it and put it on Evelyn's lap. She looked at me through half open eyes. I smiled and spoke. "Hello Mrs. Timmer. My name is Shanda and this is Penny. We are from your church: Holland Heights Church. We came today to bring you some valentines." There was little recognition from Evelyn. "What?" I tried again. . . a little louder and a little shorter. "We are from Holland Heights Church." Not much response yet from Evelyn, although she was seeming more awake. "These are valentines Mrs. Timmer. Would you like for me to open the envelope?" While I was talking with Evelyn, I wasn't completely aware of what Penny was doing. Dancing. She was dancing. She danced over to the butterfly picture. She danced back to Evelyn. She danced to the window and looked at the snow. Then she danced back to Evelyn. It was then that I saw Evelyn's eyes and saw the smile. Her face had joy. "Do you love to dance little girl?" "Yes" I said. "This is Penny and she does love to dance." "Look at you dance. Do you love to dance?" Penny smiled and continued her dance for Mrs. Timmer. I sat back and watched. . . through a few tears as my new friend Evelyn watched my daughter dance around her room. Evelyn talked no less than five times about the little girl joyfully dancing in her room. I tried to engage her again with more conversation, but is was useless. She only had eyes for Penny and she only could talk about dancing. I thanked God for letting me see this, for using Penny to bring joy to this sweet woman. Lest I get too prideful about the entire situation, a nurse poked her head in the room.
"Excuse me, but did you drop some panties?" "What?!?" I was dumbfounded. "I don't think so." My mind was reeling--why would they ask me this? I don't take along extra clothes for Penny anymore. What?!? "Um, well, they are pretty small and wouldn't fit any of our residents." "I didn't take any extra underwear." "Are you sure? Can I show them to you?" Then she held them up. . . clasped between her thumb and first finger.
White. Size 4. Hanes. Skid Marks.
These are indeed Penny's underwear.
Thankfully Evelyn was enjoying her show and missed the entire conversation. I was very embarrassed and apologized as I grabbed the underwear and shoved them into my pocket. Dirty underwear! As much as I can figure, Penny was wearing pants from the day before and when she had changed at night she had left her underwear in the pant leg or some such thing. . . and then put the pants on again today. Then, while walking down the hall, the underwear must have worked themselves out of her pant leg. Oy Vey. We said our good-byes to Evelyn and moved on.
Our thanks to Iris Kamer as well who opened her valentines, saw the chocolates inside, heard Penny say she wanted some of the chocolates, and then gave her one. We'll work on that Iris.
I'm so thankful that God continues to teach me and one of the ways He is doing it is through my children.
No comments:
Post a Comment