Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Best field trip!

Friday!

Last Friday I was able to chaperon a field trip with my boys.  At the beginning of the school year the mamas and the papas were given a chance to sign up for field trips.  I enjoy going, but getting a sitter is a pain in the tuk-us.  BUT, when I saw this particular field trip I signed my name up as fast as I could.  This is what it was.

Visiting a nursing home.

My heart sang!  It sang because there is a special spot in there for older folks.  In the past Sprick nation has visited nursing homes on our own and I was thrilled that this would be organized.  I was able to take the whole second grade (5 students) in my van.  As we parked I turned and looked at these kids.  "I'm so excited about this."  I said.  "We are certainly going to be blessed, but the best part is that God is going to use us to bless others."

We went with another class (20ish students) and entered a large room.  There were 2 or 3 folks sitting by each of the tables.  The kids dispersed themselves among the residents and they were off!  There was some uncomfortableness, but that went away rather quickly.  They learned each other's names.  They colored.  They played tic-tac-toe.  The students showed off their reading skills.  (One parent encouraged my boys to speak in Mandarin.  The residents were pretty confused by that one!)

We left with smiles on our faces and a spring in our step.  Every person is to be valued and not forgotten.  I'm not sure when we begin to "fear" nursing homes.  Maybe fear isn't the right word.  I don't remember when I began to think about the smell or strange sounds or sleeping people with mouths agape rather than the folks with feelings and stories and joy who are living inside.  As I interacted with Adeline and Mary and Jean, I saw them as very special knit-together-by-God people.  Adeline even made me laugh hysterically as we learned that in her younger years, she had once hit a squirrel.  After examining the animal, she determined that it was in good shape so she had it stuffed and then sent it off to a friend.  Really?!?  She is a character!  I'd love to sit and talk more with her sometime.  I think we could be friends.

So the whole thing was great. . . really great.  And then. . . God poured out even more on me!  As we were walking into the activity room I turned and saw a gentleman coloring.  It was Howie.  Howie is one of my former campers from Camp Roger.  I laughed and gave him a huge hug, and he returned the hug.  Then I told him who I was and then he hugged me even harder.  Sitting next to Howie was Marsha--another former camper!  We laughed together and I enjoyed looking at her coloring books.  So much love from these folks!  I will definitely be returning to hang out with them.

Next year Noel will be in second grade and will go on this field trip.  I will give another parent the chance to sign up, but I think I may be going anyway.  Seeing the love of God being shared around tables---what an honor to be a part of such joy.


1 comment:

clenters said...

Howie and Marsha! What blessings they have always been! He probably did not have his horn :)

I loved going with Zoey to visit my grandma and spreading joy and smiles. What a great idea for a fieldtip!!