Last week I had the opportunity to go out for supper with an old friend and a new friend. The three of us laughed a lot and just got to know each other better. At one point I asked if I could hear more about my new friend's husband as I didn't know him at all. "Can you describe him to me? What is it that you love about him?"
I loved seeing her smile and think about her beloved. She gave me some wonderful words about her husband and then shared some stories at well. I now see him as being a wonderfully kind and patient man, someone who has oodles of time to teach his sons how to fish. I'm excited to get to know him better.
She then asked me about my husband, since she doesn't know Gary at all. Before I began we had a little "time-out" conversation about husbands and about how we all wanted to honor them as wives. I make it a point to not share negative stuff about Gary with others. I want to lift him up as my help-mate and the head of our household. If I'm upset with him or have beef with him--I'd best be taking it up with him. I have failed on occasion and have asked both God and Gary to forgive me. They both have. As we sat there we three pledged the same thing to each other. We would share our hearts as we felt comfortable, but tearing down our men was off limits.
So after our little conversation I was able to share about my love for Gary and what I really like about him. My old friend (in terms of length of friendship, not age!) shared about her husband as well. Even though I've know her husband for awhile, I received new eyes with which to view him.
I had such a great time doing this that I want to do it again with other groups of married girlfriends. Let's celebrate what God has brought together. I know that when I got home, I had "lovey" eyes for Gary, after all I had just been talking about all the great things about him. I encourage you to try it as well.
1 comment:
I went home all goo goo ga ga over my husband that night too :) LOVED our night out!
Post a Comment