"Big Girl Pants"
I've written it on my to-do list. I've recited it before making a phone call. I've called Gary to tell him that I'm ready to put them on. I've even told my kids that I needed to go and put my big girl pants on.
What are big girl pants? Well. . .I'm afraid to do different tasks that come my way. I'm afraid that I might get confronted. I'm afraid that someone I love will be unhappy. I don't like talking to folks at a doctor's office to make an appointment. I don't like to talk to a business about problems or return clothes. I don't want to take the car in to get the tires rotated because I feel uncomfortable. These are all "big girl" things. If I put on my big girl pants, then I need to be a big girl and do these tasks that are in front of me.
So in the very recent past, I've been avoiding some of these tasks or begging Gary to do them for me. Although I still find myself falling into some of these holes. . . I'm standing up more and more. I'm doing tasks that I'm afraid of. I'm making phone calls that I don't like.
And it is going o.k.
Phone calls go well. I smile and say that I was put in charge and so I'm going to trust that the Holy Spirit will fill me and help me make good decisions about Bible Study groups. I can call and change a doctor's appointment. (Oh I dreaded that one!)
I'm 42 now and perhaps. . . .perhaps it's time for me to wear my big girl pants more often. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment