Thursday, April 23, 2009

Simon update

Hey

I feel like we are in a new place. I need to get my bearings, but I like where we are standing. Let me introduce you to Dr. Skarli (Scar-Lee). He is a pediatric neurosurgeon. Yup, we had an appointment this morning. I've never been to see a neurosurgeon. I liked him. Alot. That in itself gives me such great comfort. Thank you Lord for giving me this peace, for leading us to this doctor.

We need to do more tests: lots more tests. Today I heard words like "chemo", "tumor in the back, pelvis, and leg", "I'm going to present this to the tumor board tomorrow", "he really is charming isn't he (in reference to Simon)". Of course Simon is charming. He must take after his mom.

Dr. Scarli gave us lots of new information and we are so thankful. Puzzle pieces seem to be falling into place. He did warn us that doing all these tests might be opening a can of worms. "Well", I said, "I'd like to know what worms are in the can."

He was so great with our scared little Simon--who suddenly seems even smaller when a doctor walks into the room. He just shrinks into me. The good doctor played with Simon in the chair to help put him at ease. So great. He was impressed with Simon's jumping and running. If you looked at Simon, you'd never know there was a huge tumor invading his little body. Some of you are blessed to know him already.

What was especially cool was at the end of the visit, he asked us why we had adopted and we had the chance to talk to him about our God, about how we felt the call to take care of the orphans by actually adopting one, about our other kids. . . it was great. He looked at us with a huge smile on his face and said, "Isn't love an amazing thing."

Yup, love is amazing. That God loved us enough to let us raise this precious child. That God loved us enough to send His Son for us. That Christ loved us enough to die for us.

Thanks for your prayers and support as we begin on a new path with Simon. More appointments next week. Please pray for our family, for all of us as we begin life with many appointments: Simon: lots of doctors. Garrison and Noel: lots of time away from mom. Gary and I: processing information and making decisions. Thanks.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I have found how incredibly important it is to take medical informaion from doctors who have good rapor and that I can trust. When you are making big decision, this is huge!

We'll be thinking about everyone in your family and praying for you over the next few appointments.