Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Holy Spirit

WE'VE! (clap clap) GOT! (clap clap) SPIRIT! (clap clap) S-P-I-R-I-T SPIRIT!

The Holy Spirit is working in my little Garrison's heart and he is listening, perhaps without even realizing it.

Today is a work day. I'm in grubby clothes (I usually am) and I'm trying to get some chores done. It isn't my favorite day, but hey. . . it needs to be done. Plus, Fall Family Festival is Saturday night. We are having a par-tay and things need to be spick and span. . . at least span.

Anyway, Simon and Noel were downstairs playing while Garrison had come upstairs to give me some important news: he found some words that rhymed. That is big news alright. After we had chatted a bit, I continued loading the dishwasher and he went back downstairs. . .except that he didn't go back downstairs. I didn't see him stop and sit on the top step. I did hear him though.

"Dear Jesus. Thank you for everyone downstairs. We bless you Jesus. Amen." My brain was overwhelmed and my eyes got a little misty. Then I heard this:

"Mommy, I just prayed to Jesus!"
"Yes, I heard you. I think that is wonderful. We can pray to Jesus anytime, not just at meals or before bed, but anytime we want."
"Hey mommy, do you wanna come pray with me?"
"Of course I do." I drop everything to pray with my son right!?!

So, I join him at the top of the stairs and sit down. He folds his hands and bends over and prays again, this time thanking God for family members by name as well as a few other wonderful thanks to God. I'll never forget the extra-ordinary moment in the midst of a very ordinary day.

Lord, may I be moved as well to pray whenever and wherever during the day!

No comments: