This month however, things are different. I have a paying job. I'm not ready to go back to work full time, but this has been such a great experience. I get to be the co-host. . . sidekick really. . . on the local morning Christian radio station. I get up at five every morning and head off to the studio. I've been able to do this for the past three weeks and have one more to go. Gary has been SO supportive of this! He changed his hours so that he can get up with the kids until I get home. He even set his alarm yesterday morning to record the show. . . so I have something for the kids to laugh at in 30 years. :)
Why do I love this job so much? Well, it has been a new challenge, one that lends itself to my gifts. I'm not good at it yet, but I'm getting better. Last week I only talked over the words of a song once. I love sharing tidbits of my life. I love laughing with my co-host Troy. I love talking with listeners on the phone. Secondly, I really enjoy spending a few hours with Troy every morning. He has taught me a ton about the radio, about the behind the scenes. We enjoy a good working relationship and even have so much fun together. This week I ended up on the floor because I was laughing so hard! That is great to do on the job! He has been so patient with me and I'm grateful that he called and offered me the chance of a lifetime. Finally, I'm learning so many new things! As I've left college and teaching behind, there are fewer opportunities for me to learn. I've learned new lingo, how radio works, how sales works, why we play certain things at certain times. . .it has been fascinating. All this plus meeting new co-workers, having intelligent adult conversations for a couple of hours every day, not making breakfast every day, having more than kids stories to share at the dinner table, bringing home a little income around Christmas, plus so much more. All in all, I love it!
I'm looking forward to next week. I love going in every day. I'm also looking forward to getting up with my kids again every day the week after that. Perhaps God will give me the opportunity to do this again sometime. I'd certainly be open to it. . . but at this point: my full-time job is here at our house. I've got four kids to take care of and I hear the fourth one my become a little more demanding come May. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment