My mom was with her when she died. We had been praying for that. . . been so hoping that mom would be with her. What an honor. . . for them both. I pray that God gives me the same honor with my mom.
Here are some of my favorite memories of my grandma.
When I was very little, my grandparents lived in the old farm house. Grandma had a sweets drawer, something that my parents did not have. She also let us visit the drawer often.
She kept a container filled with Barbie things that my aunts had used. She would play Barbies with us.
She let me play both her piano and electric organ.
We would play dominoes with her and grandpa.
At the cottage, she had one of the floatie chairs and would let us sit in her lap in the water.
She had all kinds of gaudy decorations around her house that I loved looking at!
As we got older, my sister and I were invited special to her house to help her decorate her Christmas tree.
I thought she was a good cook and enjoyed watching her in the kitchen. I know now that she wasn't that great of a cook! :) Frying bacon and then making eggs and potatoes in the fat. . . well. . . I wouldn't eat that today. We (and especially Grandpa) loved it.
She and grandpa would take my sister Tricia and I to the "big mall" in Grand Rapids during Christmas. She would give us each some money and we got to go shopping with her. What a treat for us!
She kept powerhouse candy bars in the freezer in her garage. We would sneak them.
She loved us and had this way of biting her bottom lip while winking at us--especially when she was telling us a secret or teasing us. I enjoyed seeing this look several times on Tuesday night when I said good-bye to her.
There are many more. I hope that you too had a wonderful relationship with your grandparents.
4 comments:
what lovely memories you have of your grandma! Makes me think of the great people my grandparents were/are! thanks for sharing...
Sounds like many similar memories I have of my grandma, who we lost at the young age of 68. How wonderful to share so many amazing times together with your grandma.
Shanda - so glad to see your family's cute pictures and the excitement of 1 year with Simon. Makes me very teary. Also, teary to hear that your grandma has passed away. But through it all you radiate life and praise to God. I love you for that!
oh, shanda. i'm so sorry for your loss. she was a wonderful lady who always made me feel special. she sounds Just like what a grandma should be. :)
how very good it was of God to give your mom the blessings of ushering her into heaven. He's good like that.
you are in our thoughts and prayers more than you know.
please pass on to you and yours how much we love you guys.
Post a Comment