I did struggle a bit though. This year, our traditions might be different. For the first time in my life, I won't be celebrating Christmas in the house I grew up in, nor will I be celebrating with my dad. Oh, does my heart ache!
I know I haven't posted much about my dad. . . that is because there isn't much to say. He doesn't contact us and we won't be in contact with him until he gets help. It still baffles me that someone who claims to love his family so very much is choosing drugs rather than them. It comforts me to know that my dad, the one who raised me, who prayed for me, who disciplined me, who supported me. . . he wouldn't make that choice. No, this man isn't the dad that I know.
I continue to pray that he will get help. He is trying to do it "his way". He is trying to manipulate the system. We've been there. We've tried that. It doesn't work. Until he surrenders himself and gets help. . . we can't be with him.
I love you dad. My kids miss their Gramps. We pray that perhaps in this Christmas season you will hear the whisper of your family. . . perhaps it will sound good and you'll choose to get help. Then perhaps, we can be together again next Christmas. Then you can enjoy all of your Sprick grandkids. . . all four of them.
So this year, we'll still enjoy being together. We'll celebrate the coming of two new kids next year. We'll eat great food, open great presents, and take a great hike. We'll enjoy the hope we have in the Lord and enjoy His company. We'll pledge again to love and support each other. Things will be different this year, but perhaps Christmas will have a deeper meaning for us Koemans.
3 comments:
ok, bawling over here in jersey. i feel sad for you guys-traditions are always kept in our hears, though-that's what makes them so amazing! we love all you koemans (& married-into-the-koemans) and wish you a very blessed christmas!
in our hearts, not hears...typo!!
Thanks Lori. We love you too. I've been shedding an extra amount of tears about this over the past few days. I think that is good though. It shows how much I love and care for dad. I do know we'll have a great time. Us Koemans do have big hearts! :)
Post a Comment