I'm thankful for parents who taught me the real meaning of Easter. I remember driving around early on Easter morning while in high school. I was in a singing group and we had sung at a Sunrise service. Afterwards, we drove around Holland and Zeeland with the windows open shouting about how Easter isn't about pink bunnies and peeps. Not exactly the best way to share the good news, but it was truth.
I remember a few Easter Egg hunts as a child. I remember we couldn't wear our spring dresses until Easter. I remember that it was often COLD! One of my best. . . and perh
aps most entertaining memories is of the corsages in church. Can I get a witness! Lori--you have got to remember the corsages! It seems (and this is looking back through my little girl glasses) that every woman in the church had a corsage for Easter. I think they got them for Mother's Day as well. I'd love some clarification on this one. I loved looking at all the flowers and picking out my favorites. My dad always got a big one for my mom and two little lilies for Tricia and me. I was so proud to wear my flower from my dad. I wonder if the dads ever competed for best corsage? I wonder if there was corsage envy among the moms? Mrs. Dykstra, in my opinion, always had the best one. She sat behind us and seemed to get one with red roses. Lovely. Did you have "dress" traditions when you grew up?The days of the corsage are over. I wonder what would happen if I wore on on Sunday? I don't own an Easter Dress. . . . I am in the nursery this Sunday. Perhaps the kids would love to look at my flower and try to taste it. I know I'd be the envy of every mom if I had a corsage. Honey, if you read this before Easter. . . hint hint. :) I'll keep you posted.
2 comments:
Ack! I must be getting old or something. After consulting my expert sister during Dutch Dance practice, it became apparent that the corsages appeared more on Mother's Day rather than on Easter. My apologies. . . senile already? My family is in for a ride. :)
After consulting with my mother, it seems that we DID received the lily corsages at Easter. Apparently, florists loved my church as the men bought corsages for both Easter and Mother's Day. Gary is. . . right at this moment on his way to the florist to pick up our corsages. Hee Hee.
Post a Comment