I love seeing my kids playing outside and I LOVE saying "go outside to play for awhile". It makes me happy to hear the laughter (and the fighting). It makes me happy to see rosy cheeks. It makes me happy to see toys strewn about the back yard. I'm sure that doesn't make my neighbors happy. Oh well.
There is one thing that bothers me about spring. Nope, not the mud. Nope, not the crazy changes in weather. Nope, not the sense that it seems to be the shortest season. The thing that is bugging me the most is the rocks.
You read it right. . . rocks. My kids are fascinated with rocks. They collect them. They sort them. They show them off. "Look at this fossil, look at this footprint, this is a mineral, this is a keeper, this one writes (it was a piece of charcoal), this one was the oldest, this one looks like a heart. . . " and on and on and on. I can handle these comments, in fact, I welcome them. I love it that they are creating and learning and pretending with rocks.
I don't like it that they are migrating into our house. They find homes on my counter and in bedrooms. Several have found their way into the laundry which I am NOT excited about. I find many in the car and then get chastised after recycling them because "that one was a special one". Today, the boys got in trouble because they saw a spider and tried to kill it by throwing rocks at it. That is a problem because the spider was on the house! Somehow throwing rocks at the house (bad idea) was overruled by killing the spider (a good idea?). Summer will bring hoses, and gardens, and hikes, and bicycles, and sandboxes and more water. . . perhaps rocks will fall aside. A girl can hope.
2 comments:
So cute, Shanda. Perhaps you could designate an outside area for a "rock garden" where they could give their collected rocks a home! :)
Love the new blog background!
I agree a rock garden sounds like a fabulous idea - they can even put them to bed at night! :)
Post a Comment