Monday, April 18, 2011

The Voice of God

Last Saturday was "Boy Haircut Day" at the Sprick house. Garrison, Simon, and Daddy all received haircuts. Gary followed up his haircut (And by haircut I mean that I buzzed all of his hair off. It was about an inch long.) by shaving off his beard. The results were quite dramatic. I found myself being surprised by his appearance for the rest of the day. Garrison, Simon and Noel also laughed at how different daddy looked. Penny was a different story. She was taking a nap during haircutting time. As she began to talk and alert us to her presence, I went into her room and Gary followed me. She immediately stopped her talking and clapping, opened her eyes wide, and began to cry. There was a stranger in the room. She reached out to me and I picked her up explaining that it was daddy. She buried her head in my shoulder. Daddy then began to talk and she began kicking her legs, smiling and laughing. She looked around the room for her daddy. Instead, she only found a stranger. Gary and I both laughed and laughed. We kept on explaining and Gary kept talking to her so very lovingly. She wouldn't go to him and continued to smile when she heard her daddy's voice. . . yet cry when she saw the stranger. It took awhile for her to connect the voice and the person once again.
Gary and I talked and laughed about it again that night. We both made the connection to our spiritual life. Though I can't always see God, or perhaps we don't see what WE would like God to be doing, we can hear His Voice. He has given us His Word and we can always go to it. It should bring a smile to our face and joy at the thought of it. I know I often want to tell God how my life should be and what things should be happening around me. Instead, I need to spend more time listening to His Voice and then I think I'll recognize Him more often.

The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice. John 10: 2-5

No comments: