Monday, October 21, 2013

Good Morning

It is 3:27 a.m.  Both Penny and Noel have had struggles tonight.  Noel was coughing something fierce, so I got up.  I put her in a shower with the door shut and let er rip.  The steam and heat were great and I haven't heard her cough since.  We'll see what the sunlight brings.  Penny is having her usual bad dreams. . . no terrors tonight though.

So I'm up.  It is a time to be quiet and reflect.  I'm listening to a sermon that a friend sent me.  Right now it is the praise and worship time, so I'm blogging until the sermon begins.

Today is my birthday.

Forty one years ago God changed my parent's lives forever.  I'm so thankful that He placed me with them.



Saturday Noel tried something new.  She goes to a gymnastics class once a week.  On most Saturdays there is an open gym, and this was the first week that Noel could go.  I took her and as soon as we hit the parking lot, she changed.  My confident secure girl clung to my legs and kept her head down.  She was a completely different person!  I told her we'd hang out for a bit together. . . I'd stay and watch her. . . Why doesn't she just try it for awhile and see if she finds one of her friends. . .I tried everything I had in my bag of tricks.  Two other mamas saw and tried to help--in a good and not annoying way.  This did nothing.  I was at a loss of what to do until one of these mamas stepped in again.  "Hi.  This is my daughter Sarah.  She is in the same level as you are.  Do you want to go in with her?"  Noel lit up and nodded.  She and Sarah went into the gym and that was it.  Noel needed a friend.

I sat there praying for her and smiling as I saw them running around together.  After about fifteen minutes, Noel ran over to me and with a huge smile said "I'm o.k. mom  You can go."  The same girl that wouldn't let me go was now dismissing me.  :)

I'm the same way.  I get nervous going to a school event by myself.  I find myself scanning the crowd and looking for a friend. . . someone I know.  I wonder if I'll know someone at my table at church.  Will someone want to sit by me at a social event?  I do better in new situations. . . and in familiar ones with a friend.

I'm thankful today for my friends.  I'm thankful for folks who say that they are on the same level as me.  

We are walking together through parenting.  
We are walking together through church.  
We are walking together as believers.  
We are walking together as adoptive parents.  
We are walking together trying to lose weight.
We are walking together through marriage.
We are walking together through grief.
  
I feel better with you.  I do better with you.  
Thanks.

1 comment:

GOTG said...

You are an incredible woman of God. Happy Birthday.