On the way home from church yesterday we passed a dead skunk. We had passed by it on the way to church. . . and we made a mistake. Gary and I mentioned the dead skunk. :) No one had seen it and yes, they did remember.
So, we pass the dead skunk again. . . only another problem. They still can't see it very well. We are almost home, questions are reverberating all over the car, and I give Gary the look. Let's go back to the skunk.
"Seriously?" Gary responds incredulously.
"Can we?" I reply.
We turn around. "Where are we going? Did we forget something? How did the skunk die?"
"We are going back to look at the skunk." "Yeah!!!!!!"
We make another drive-by the skunk and once again due to the laws in Michigan regarding transporting children in car seats. . . not everyone can see. "I didn't see it. How big was it? Are there more? Is the skunk in heaven?" etc.
Gary turns around again, we pass by the skunk again (#4) and he pulls over. "We are going to look at the skunk." And what do I do? I fall in love again with this man.
I stay in the car as my guy gets out of the car along with the three oldest ducks. They fall behind their daddy and make their way to the dead skunk. I remain behind with Penny and I watch and begin to cry. I will never forget a dad on the road with his kids, bending over a dead skunk and pointing out. . . I'm not sure what he was pointing out. I couldn't hear him. I did see three kids peering down at an animal, and then peering up and listening to their dad teach and explain. After they climbed back into the car I learned all kinds of things about the skunk and what "daddy said". Sometimes my heart just is filled to the brim that it hurts. Of course when we got home we found well. . . .whining, complaining, disobeying, whining, fighting, hitting, and some whining. We did not find any more dead skunks and for that I am thankful.
Ah, I love my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment