Sunday morning church service changed for us yesterday. It won't last forever, just 16 more years. Garrison and Simon graduated out of children's worship (which happens during the sermon part of the service) and into Carpenter's Workshop (which happens after the church service). Suddenly, things are different in the pew. Noel left during the offering and Gary and I found ourselves managing/wrangling/quieting/encouraging two fidgety boys. :)
I must say they handled themselves better than I thought they would. Our church did decide to throw another wrench into the mix. Communion.
I forgot that we were having communion and my boys have never seen it because they have always been in the church basement while it is happening. I had planned on sitting down with them and explaining things, but instead Gary and I found ourselves whispering to our offspring about what was about to happen. I got a little teary eyed as I shared with Garrison (Gary was on Simon) about the bread and wine. It is such an amazing thing to participate in. The boys walked up with us to receive the elements, but they didn't take it yet. Our church leaves that decision up to the parents as to when their children can begin to receive communion.
So Garrison and Simon joined us on our walk up front and then we returned to our seats with the elements. We waited to take them until everyone had been served. Garrison carefully examined them. I spilled my juice on my pants (awesome!). It took on new meaning for me as I remembered watching my parents partake of communion and now my sons were watching me. It is another responsibility as parents--passing on to the next generation--the worship and adoration and fear and amazement and love of God.
Yup. Sundays are certainly new for us again. Now I need to wait for that first bodily function from one of them during the service. Good times.
1 comment:
I remember the first time Ali watched communion as well. We had just read the Jesus storybook Bible version of the last supper and it was a great fit. I also got teary eyed. What an awesome responsibility to raise our children to know Christ. You're doing great, Mama!
Post a Comment