Thursday, September 6, 2012

On my mind

I've had several things bumping around "on my mind" today.  Things that kind of weigh in. . . perhaps weigh on a little bit.

Noel got on the bus this morning in tears.  School is great, but the three older girls at the bus stop don't give her a glance.  She finally got up the guts to go and say "hello" and one of the girls responded with "what?!?"  Noel lost it.  As a mama I want to intervene, yet I don't think it is my place this time.  Some kids just aren't going to be friendly.  Some older kids just don't want to talk with someone in kindergarten.  I held her close and whispered that I hoped when she was nine she would be willing to talk with someone who is five.  The bus came as her tears spilled over and I had to give her a little nudge to get on.  Ah!!  Why is it that when the heart breaks in one of my kids my heart breaks too?  I prayed on the way home for her.

An adoptive mama sent her daughter to surgery yesterday to amputate her daughter's legs.  I've been walking with this Christ following family as they traveled to China to adopt their daughter.  I've read through various doctor's appointments.  Yesterday was the big day and now Jael finally has a chance to walk with artificial legs.  Of course this bumps around in my head because of my experience with artificial legs (my dad is an amputee), our adoption from China, and all the Olympic coverage of the runner from South Africa.  I found myself checking her blog many times as this sweet mama that I'll meet in heaven posted pictures and updates.  Praying for this family and sweetie pie Jael!

I began potty training Penny yesterday and once again, this last child of mine is doing things differently.  We are in diapers again today and will be for awhile.  Penny is her own book.  I love this about her, but I need to do a little more thinking about this child before we venture into big girl panties again.

I'm on day 6 of no artificial sugar.  Those who know me well just uttered a collective gasp!  I love diet pop.  Love it.  Long for it.  I love sugar free Cool Whip.  I put Splenda in my yogurt every day.  These past few days have certainly been a change.  I'm giving myself a month without, and then I'll think about what I'd like to do next.  I'll keep you posted.  The caffeine withdrawal has been the biggest problem, especially the first two days.  I've only had a few headaches since.

I've yet to figure out how to handle the "return from school".  Things just seem to fall apart in our house when the boys get off of the bus.  Gary gets home about 10 minutes after them. . . so within a few minutes our house is full of changes and the kids aren't handling it very well.  I must admit that at times I don't handle their not handling it well either.  I'm thinking we need to give it some time and get into some sort of a routine.  It helps me to know that there is just going to be a little chaos, a little tears, a little silliness, a little acting out, and someone named Penny will either eat toothpaste or get into the cleaning supplies.

Add to that my friend Jane and her family who are serving God in Costa Rica experienced an earthquake yesterday.  They have certainly had some big rocks (figuratively speaking) in their path since they left.  I pray for them often and wish I could give them a hug or a meal with lots of meat.  (They rarely eat any because it is so expensive.)  I'll have to settle for more prayer and a donation to their fund.

Finally, I haven't been sleeping well and am a bit perplexed.  If I am awoken in the night, then I'm up for awhile.  It is the reason why Gary takes all the basic parenting issues in the night.  I'll take the biggies thank you very much.  For the past 4 or 5 nights, I've been awake for an hour and a half almost every night and at different times.  Sometimes a child woke me up, but last night I was awake at 5:00.  Well. . . I may as well just get up then.  I did get caught up on my "reading through the Bible in a year" though.  That feels great.  Right now though. . . sorta tired.  :)  Perhaps when I begin drinking pop again. . . . a girl can only hope.

1 comment:

Katie Henry said...

I get so excited to catch up on your beautiful family! Thank you for allowing me into your family:)

Thank you for your post about adoption…we are so incredibly excited about this journey ahead! I would love to hear about your experience and gain insight and wisdom from someone who has gone before! Again, your family is precious! We must meet up one of these days when we come through Holland! Who would have thought years ago at WCS that we would one day live so close to one another in the great midwest! I would absolutely LOVE to see you!