Saturday, September 29, 2012

Soccer

The boys had a soccer game this morning.  We've never participated in the Saturday morning soccer thing before this year.  Our philosophy with sports/activities for our kids has been to expose them to a variety of sports so that they have an idea of how it is played.  If they enjoy something and want to learn more, then great.  If they don't, then great.  I must admit that it really isn't soccer but rather bunch ball.  I smile often as I watch my boys play.  Simon is more willing to get in the thick of things and attacks the ball but lacks the power.  Garrison circles the ball while doing a sort of run/dance thing and only kicks it when it comes to him.  The weather so far hasn't been bad and I haven't had any awkward conversations with crazy parents.  Good stuff.

Today however, (don't ya just love the word however!) there was an event that occurred on the soccer field. Let me back up a bit.  The boys forgot to take their water bottles. (This of course isn't shocking if you are my facebook friend and haven't blocked me.  You are aware of my forgetful sons.)  I forgot to remind them to take water bottles.  I'm still getting used to this "activity thing".  How much is my responsibility?  How much is theirs?  Anyway, at the start of the second quarter I asked Garrison if he would like a drink box from the car.  YES!  Play began and I headed off to the car to get a drink for my son.  If you are wondering. . . hmm. . . she has two thirsty sons on the field. . . you are correct.  Simon however doesn't like juice boxes.  I brought one for him anyway just in case.  Sometimes thirst wins.

I returned to my seat and Garrison caught my eye and yelled "Hey mom, guess what?"  (Guess what drives me crazy--the boy says it all the time!)  The ball was at the other end of the field and the three fullbacks and goalie were behind.  "What" I replied.  "Mom, guess what?  The ball was down here and then guess what?  It was kicked as hard as possible and then guess what?  It hit me right here!" he yelled as he thrust his hips forward and pointed at his penis.  By now all the parents on the sideline were listening to the conversation.  Garrison had a very proud grin on his face.  I'm not exactly sure what was on mine.  I know I was smiling and shaking my head a little bit.  I did hear the laughter around me as I asked if he was o.k.  He assured me that he was without even uttering a "guess what".  Another mom assured me that I could someday be a grandmother.  When I brought him his drink box during the third quarter (he had to sit out) he let me know that after it happened. . ." you know mom. . . when the ball hit my weenie. . . the whole crowd went awwww".

He thought that was the coolest part.  He loved hearing the crowd.  I think he may be a little like me.

1 comment:

one blessed mama said...

i'm just waiting for that day from ONE of the three since NO ONE wears a cup!!
"that's so embarrasing!"
hello, i've seen GROWN men, fall to their knees, tears falling from their cheeks, in TERRIBLE pain so listen mister, you want to take your chances, don't come crying to me!"
(ok, i didn't say that last part but you can bet your bootie, i'll be 'that' mom telling them to SUCK IT UP! silently mumbling, "i told you so". inside i'll be crying for them....and for me.....cuz if i don't get grandbabies...this mama will be saaadddd.)