My niece excitedly announced a few months back that she was going to audition for Annie. Her church was going to produce the musical and she had the acting bug. Of course as her aunt and fellow lover of all things theater, I was so proud. I encouraged her and hoped that she would get a part. I know that there are so many kids (I remember well!) who audition and don't receive a part. She called with the good news that although she wasn't going to be Pepper (a fabulous part indeed!) she was a Hooverville kid. Perfect!
Saturday afternoon we left Penny with a babysitter (who was named Annie!) and stood in line with our tickets to get the best seats. We got them! I love seeing big Broadway stuff. . . but my heart is with productions like this. This is the stuff I used to direct on a high school level. I learn and appreciate and laugh with a director's choices. It is great. While we were waiting Simon crawled on my lap and was still there as the musical began. "Come on Annie, you are never going to get adopted." The words rang out so loud. The last time I saw Annie I wasn't a parent. Today I was. . . and my adopted son was sitting on my lap. I hugged him tight and fought back tears. I know it is a play. I know that it isn't real. I know that Annie will be adopted by Daddy Warbucks. I know that Jessica (who is playing Annie) is a Camp Roger girl.
I also know that I chose Simon. Wait. Not true. God chose Simon before time began. He adopted him into the family of God through the death and resurrection of Christ. Then, He let Gary and I know that we needed to adopt our third child.
"I choose you" I whispered into Simon's ear. He looked up at me and asked for a mint.
2 comments:
Yes!
I'm going to marry Simon.
Post a Comment