Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Oh where I have been!

Senior Picture 1990
 So here I am.  A respectable senior picture.  I loved having my picture taken.  I felt special and important and beautiful.  Those bangs were beautiful.  My swatch watch was a stunner.  I thought my polka dot shirt with matching earrings was it!
I received this picture over the summer.  A friend from college had been going through some things and found this picture along with the one posted below.  I smile when I look at the photo above.  I do NOT when I look at the picture below.
O.K.
Go ahead.
You can look now.
Ugh!






Shanda.  College.  1990 or 1991


When I was handed this photo I gasped a little bit.  Obviously, I had put on the freshman 15 30.  I remember buying this sweater at Winona Knits.  I bought two of them: pink and white and wore them constantly.  Why?  Because they were one of the few things that fit.  Only there is a problem: I don't think it fits! 
Why is my hair in pigtails?  Why?
Why am I wearing those red/white earrings from my senior photo above with a light pink sweater?  Why did I get a perm right before I left for Calvin?  Why did someone not tell me about bras that fit?  Also, I believe I should have been taught to stand like a lady.

I know where this was taken.  I am still friends with the amazing girls who lived across the hall. We loved making crank calls, watching Saturday Night Live and changing our answering machine messages three times a day.  I'm thankful that they were my friends despite my appearance.  Though the picture is horrid in a very funny sort of way (I am laughing about it!), I love that it reminds me of a wonderful time in my life.

I'm also thankful when I look at this picture because I think I have aged well.  I must admit that I wore my hair in pigtails last week (see photo below).  Please tell me if is in inappropriate for a 40 year old to do that.  I do believe that I look better now than when I did in college.  My hair then. . . oh do you see how that dark brown doesn't do my any favors?!?  I am very aware of how undergarments can help.  I have more than two sweaters today.
So take a gander below.  This is me.  Would you agree that 2012 is better on the eyes than 1991?  Wrinkles yes.  But oh--that face has lived through tons and this chica has a lot more confidence now.  
More wisdom.  
More joy.  
More.
I think it shows.






2 comments:

Rae said...

You know I will always think you are a hottie.

KatieKate said...

You ARE a hottie... especially in that senior photo. Also, we had the same bangs.

I a serious aversion to photos of me... but there are good memories back there. Good memories :)