I'm so in love with God and with Garrison at this very moment!
It says 3:20 a.m. at the bottom of this computer. Not usually the time for me to be blogging. But I'm up. As I've discussed before, Gary generally gets up with middle of the night stuff, but I do the biggies. I also get up when he is on-call and tonight both categories were covered.
I was awake instantly when I heard the whispered words "I wet the bed". Garrison was standing by Gary's side of the bed. I was out of bed before it even registered in Gary's mind. "I had a bad dream" would have stirred me, but changing sheets is my domain. I get up for new sheets. Garrison was upset so I did damage control before I did sheet control. He has been dry now for so long that I forgot this was a possibility. No big deal in my head. Big deal in his. Hearts are more important than new sheets at first.
We worked together then as he took sheets off and I put sheets on. Then it hit him. "My tooth" he exclaimed. He had lost a tooth at school yesterday and was eager to get the dollar coin that we leave. We had forgotten (shh) and now the tooth in its precious baggie was not to be seen. Garrison began to get teary. He had to find his tooth! I assured him that we would totally (yes I said totally!) find it in the morning. This is not the big deal that it seems to be. He pulled the last sheet off and discovered that the protective barrier under the sheets (for such a time as this) was also wet. I asked him to take it off too so I could wash it and then he saw the mattress. The protective barrier was no match for Garrison! This was the final straw for him and the tears began. I hugged him. This soft tender boy was putty in my arms and I enjoyed the moment.
This past month he's been growing on me, and not just physically. I'm sick of hearing "Mom, I'm hungry" from him. He is always hungry. He has also been growing emotionally and has become at times a little irritable with his mama. I think it's normal, a pulling away a bit. Some moments he'll cuddle on my lap and the next he doesn't want to share with me or let me pull him close for a hug. Tonight I had my little boy.
I seemed to convince him that the mattress was no big deal and we headed off to the laundry room. It was there that I presented him with his options. I also had my best moment of the day. "Garrison, as I see it you have two options tonight. You can either grab a sleeping bag and sleep on your floor, or you can sleep in the bed downstairs." I didn't expect what came next. "Mom, both of those are so great." This is what he said. Plus he said it with such excitement you'd have thought I was offering him an opportunity to zip line or do archery. Here I was thinking I'd have to convince him to do something rather than sleep in his bed. He chose the sleeping bag so that the tooth issue was less of a problem.
As I cleaned up the mattress he got a sleeping bag (love having older kids) and we got him all set. The whole thing took about 10 minutes, but I enjoyed them all. I tucked him in kisses and all before I headed off to start the washing machine. It was in the laundry room that I thanked God out loud for my son. He has taught me so much and brings such joy to my life. I often miss out with him because he is so much more independent. . .and huge. That God chose to bless me with one such as this is just beyond me. God is so very amazing.
Now I'm bloggingsto that I remember. . . and so that hopefully Garrison falls asleep. I need to go and get that dollar.
3 comments:
You've got it right. Thanks for sharing. I had tears at thanking God out loud for your boy. :) I am learning your joy, but it is a blessing to be able to see it modeled for me.
"both of those are so great"
I love that kid.
Way to be a midnight rockstar, Friend!!!
Kudos to a momma and a dadda who show through love that in the middle of angst, things can...and will be...great! Well done :)
Post a Comment