Let's chat about Lent. I grew up not really knowing about Lent. . . at least the "giving up something" for Lent. We didn't do ashes or giving up stuff at my church, but we did intentionally think about the approach of Easter--lest you think Graafschap didn't remember--we did!
I heard about giving up something for Lent in college. I jokingly (oh the embarrassment now!) gave up sex and salad one year. Thankfully God's mercy covers me. One year I gave up meat; another year was ice cream. I was getting closer.
As a grown-up, it has only been in the past five years or so that I've thought about giving something up. Some years I do and others I don't. It is something that is between me and the Lord. I give something up if I'm pushed by the Holy Spirit to do so. I get pushed to give up something that means something to me, but doesn't endanger my health or the well-being of my family. I don't think God would ask me to do that. Things like "heat" or "meals" or "vegetables" wouldn't fit the bill. Past years included Facebook and sweets.
I was pushed this year. My favorite food is off of my list. That's right: Diet Mountain Dew! In fact, I'm going to go without pop for 40 days. When I find myself wanting pop, I'll be reminded that my Lord. . . my Christ went through so much for me. Boy do I love Him. . . and I'll be thinking about Him a lot. :)
1 comment:
It is not so much the 'giving up' as it is the intentional 'doing'... the intention anticipation of Good Friday and, hallelujah, Easter. If giving up help you remember, rock it. If doing something new helps you focus, bring it. But may it all lead you to the Cross.
Post a Comment