The cake is cooling on the counter. It needs about 15 more minutes and then I can frost it and we can bring it away. Dee Dee is going to receive a cake today.
Dee Dee and I have never met. She is the coder in my doctor's office and I first talked with her in January when I received my bill. I had surgery in September and my insurance covered everything but one part of it. I was very confused when I got the bill. Why? Why is this part not covered? I made Gary call about it. I don't like to call. . . I spend as little time on the phone as possible. I especially don't like to make appointments or press "1" for English or say "yes" when given an option. So Gary called. He called the insurance company and the hospital. Guess what?!? Gary isn't allowed to call. Because this is about me and because of HIPPA blah blah, I need to call. Gah! Arg! Bleck!
I called the insurance company and talked with a very rude person who had zero compassion for me or my story. She wouldn't let me talk to anyone else and told me that all I could do was write a letter to a three person panel and they would decide my fate. "Is there anyone on this panel with a medical degree?" I asked. She wasn't pleased with this question.
Enter Dee Dee. I called my doctor's office and talked with her hoping there was another possible code. We have talked many times. I don't think it is usual for a patient and a coder to talk on the phone. It is usual for God to work in unusual ways. I called her again yesterday after waiting for 37 days. The insurance company said they would render a verdict in 37 days. They told this to Dee Dee after she has called in February--not her job mind you--SHE had called for ME. She was just as frustrated as I was. I cried with her and she cried with me. Yesterday she marveled when I called--she had just thought of me five minutes before and had checked on my account only to see that the bill was still there. I told her that the bill was going to be turned over to a collection agency. That is scary business to me. She offered me encouragement. She gave me some possible roads to take and we said good-bye.
Her advice worked. After conversations with nice insurance people yesterday and today, the matter is resolved. I should not be getting any more bills and if I do, I need to talk with Beatrice or Shana in the resolution department. I have names. I have people who will advocate for me.
I cried and clapped and danced before Jesus when I got the call. I had told God that I would give Him the glory and the thanks no matter what the outcome. He deserves my praise.
So I'm blogging while the cake cools and then my girls and I are going to go and meet Dee Dee for the first time. She is driving to Michigan State tonight to pick up her son. I think she might need a cake--and yes indeed it is a bundt. A bundt cake covers all manner of occasions! I'm excited to meet her and thank her and hug her. I think I might even cry. Glory to God for putting people in my path to help me on my journey. He is just so very wonderful--My Rock! This cake is really for Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment