Saturday, December 21, 2013

Change of plans

Yesterday was "change of plans" day.  It didn't begin that way, but then we just went with it.  It was fun to see how the day just evolved.  Snow day, lunch at a friends very spur of the moment, she kept my older ducks for the afternoon (nice!), and then supper out.  

Two highlights from yesterday.  First, we made doughnuts.  I don't know how the tradition started, but when I was growing up we made doughnuts on the first snow day--the first school cancellation day--of the year.  We'd all get floured up, mom would make the dough and dad would do the frying.  We only made them once a year and it was awesome.  Since I'm at home, I decided to continue this tradition with my kids.  Yesterday's experience went so great!  The kids were so helpful and they tasted wonderful.  I use the same recipe that I did growing up and the doughnuts tasted like. . . memories.  :)

Last night after dividing up duties (me and the older ducks to Meijer to brave the craziness and get a present for today--Gary and Penny off to donate a trunk load of stuff to Africa's Child) we met up at Russ' for supper.  It is full of memories as well.  We ran into five families from church (love it) and were enjoying our meal.  While we were eating I noticed a group of men with santa hats on come in.  It seemed like a larger group and I was a little nervous because they were probably going to wait for our table since we were sitting at the largest one in the place.  I was wrong.  After a few minutes they all began singing and walked into the dining area.  We enjoyed "We wish you a Merry Christmas" and "Joy to the World".  I loved it!  They were great and the kids loved hearing them as well.  We all clapped at the end of every song.  Then they began to head our way. . . and the leader came over to Noel and asked if they could sing a song just for her.  She smiled and nodded.  They put a headband with antlers attached on her head and then sang. . . "You are my Sunshine".

You are my Sunshine.

It isn't a Christmas song, but it is Noel's song.  See, Noel was named after one of my favorite people--a fabulous woman named Noel Furman.  She was one of my campers at Camp Roger and has Down's Syndrome.  She would come and sit on my bed, hold my hand, and sing "You are my Sunshine" to me.  When my Noel was a baby, I would sing it to her and whisper to her about my other Noel.

So yesterday was great.  Great.  My plans flew out the window, but I had a great day with my kids.  I enjoyed time with a wonderful friend.  I accepted help.  I didn't get my cleaning and other stuff done, but it's o.k.  I was reminded of a wonderful friend and former camper.  I feel like God was just giving me a pat on the back.

And those singers--I have no idea who they were.  I asked when we paid and they didn't know.  Thanks to those men.  Thanks for sharing the message of Christ's birth, for venturing out on a Friday night to sing in a restaurant, and for celebrating my Noel.  She was so proud.

No comments: