Monday, December 9, 2013

And we're back!

We are home.  We are tired.  We are happy.  We are blessed.

So we did the whole Disney thing.  It was magical and wonderful and tiring and overwhelming and amazing.

Here is my top ten lists of our Disney Vacation.

10 things I loved about our Disney vacation. (So many, but here are some highlights!)

10. I didn't have to drive or park a car.  Loved that we had busing everywhere we needed to go.  Loved walking for several miles every day.
9. Being on the Disney meal plan meant that I didn't prepare any meals for a week (except for PB&J for a couple of breakfasts).  We had to plan where to go, but it was refreshing to have a break. . . and eat some really delicious food.
8. A hotel room with two bathrooms.  
7. Beautiful weather.
6. I really enjoyed many of the rides/shows/attractions through the eyes of my kids.  My boys went to Jedi Training Camp.  I think I was more excited than they were.
5. Setting up Fastpass online.  In general, Disney is an amazing machine.  They move people with efficiency.  They get it and work to make the entire experience something you can't find anywhere else.
4. I intentionally spent individual time with each child every day.  What a treat!
3. Watching Penny meet Cinderella.  It was so touching to watch them together.  I know someday her imagination will wane, but for now I'll celebrate her joy at the imaginary.
2. Spending awesome time with Mama Petty.  The two of us even got a night out at Epcot with just the two of us.  Love her!
1. Praising God for giving me the family that He did.

10 things I didn't love about our Disney vacation.

10. It's over. :)
9. Colds.  A few of us got them--our own fault really.  We went to bed too late.
8. Who scheduled a 6:35 a.m. flight home anyway?  Getting up at 2:15 and then taking care of tired children after a long/great vacation. . . we survived, but it wasn't pretty at times.
7. Noise.  Gary and I commented to each other every day about how loud it was.  There was no way to escape the noise. . . except in our room.
6. Penny missed the 40 inch height requirement by 1 inch and Simon/Noel missed the 48 inch requirement by 1ish inches as well.  So close!
5. SO.  MANY.  PEOPLE.
4. "Shanda.  Just to let you know.  I will be going to jail tonight if one more person knocks down one of our children."
3. Many of the attractions have "scary" elements that don't need to be there.  As a mom with sensitive kids. . . this was hard to deal with at times.
2. Some poor timing for our meals: either too early or too late.  One night was at 7:00 and our kids just couldn't handle it well.
1. Waiting in line for everything.  I was so glad to get home and not wait in line for our car.  :)

We are thankful for the opportunity to go and will treasure this vacation time.  It isn't something that will happen often.  Many thanks to Mama Petty for taking us and being such an important part of our lives.  I'm praying for the ducks today as they go to school and deal with re-entry.  :)  Penny is sleeping early and I'm trying to finish putting the house back together.  Hard to believe that just 3 days ago I was swimming outside in 86 degree weather.

1 comment:

shanda said...

I loved it that I heard so many different accents and heard such a variety of languages. It did make me sad though that these parks were FILLED with the "haves" of the world. Sure I was loving hearing the different languages, but every single one of us had privilege to be there. It made me sad.

Also, it really bothered me that though the printed guidebooks for every location are in five (or six?) different languages, Mandarin is not included. How can this be? It is the number one spoken language in the world. Perhaps those of Chinese heritage who are able to attend Disney also often speak English? Japanese, Portugese, French, Spanish. . . these were all included. I just thought it was odd.