Thursday, December 19, 2013

Treasures

It is the season for treasures.  Our Lord came to the earth as a baby which is certainly our greatest treasure.  There are treasures underneath our Christmas tree.  I'm treasuring family during this time of year.  There are treasures (Christmas cards) in our mailbox almost every day.  I love it all.

HOWEVER, there is a treasure hunter in our family who has discovered a new place to find treasures.  Before I share Garrison's newest discovery, let me share a cute story from Tuesday night.  My parents came over to babysit for the night.  They gave us a night away for dinner and shopping as part of their Christmas gift to us.  It was wonderful.  When we got home, they told us about their dinner conversation.  They had asked the kids all kinds of questions about our Disney vacation.  I wish I could have heard it all!  Anyway, when asked about his favorite ride, Garrison responded with "It's a Small World".  Mom was tickled as she loves this ride too.  She asked him what he liked about it. . . the singing, the different countries. . . what?  "Oh no Grammy, I liked all the coins in the water.  I wish I could go back and just get all of those coins."  Coins.  My son spent more time looking in the water than at all the crazy singing dolls!  I love him (as I shake my head with a huge smile on my face).

In the past week Garrison has come home with three different treasures he has found in the garbage at school.  The garbage!  He regularly checks our trash and recycling, but is now wiser to do it where mom can't catch him.  He first came home with a foot long thermometer minus the glass bulb that actually measures the temperature.  He loves it.  It is big and yellow and "all you need to do it get a new middle part and we can find out the temperature."  "Yes Garrison, it needs a part to work.  THAT IS WHY IT WAS IN THE GARBAGE.  Also, we could look right here where our thermometer is in our house."  He grinned.   Tuesday he came home and complained that his backpack was so heavy.  Yup, sure was.  It contained 4 catalogs for math curriculum.  He has enjoyed reading them before bed.  Yesterday, he arrived wearing reindeer antlers (you know those headband things).  He loved them and was so proud that he had found them in the garbage.  "Look mom, they were broken (one of the antlers had broken off) but I fixed them."  He had--with staples and tape.

I did talk with him about food.  You are not eating food out of the garbage right?!?  "Mom, that's gross."  Good.  It is gross.

Maybe he will grow up as he hopes and be a dumpster diver.  :)

No comments: