Garrison is afraid of the car wash. Recently we have been playing "car wash" in an effort to relieve his anxiety and fears about them. I've been washed with pom poms, towels, and many many flags. So has he.
Those in the Handy Manny loop may be familiar with the episode of the car wash. Let me give you the low down. Manny's friend is opening his car wash and Manny goes over to see it. It breaks down. What is the problem? There is a fuse that has blown. Manny goes over to Kelly's hardware and surprise surprise, Kelly has a replacement part. Manny and the tools return and the car wash begins again with Manny's truck going through. OH NO! Manny's dog (that is a robot he built) fell asleep in the back and is going to go through the car wash! Luckily, one of the tools pushes the emergency stop button and saves the day. Manny repairs the button and once again, the cars can all get washed.
Guess what? I'm very familiar with this episode. I rarely sit to watch them because while the kids are engrossed with Handy Manny, I'm doing laundry, emptying the dishwasher, doing e-mail, checking facebook, you know. . . important stuff. Several months ago, Garrison began crying during Handy Manny and shut off the television. WHAT!?! Don't touch the television and don't infringe on my time. my time (yeah right!) What is the problem Garrison? Well, I turn it back on and realize that it an episode about a car wash. We talk about it etc. We watch it together. . . every time. He has turned off the television more times, then I've turned it back on and sat with him. We talk about it. We talk about how the dog is going to be o.k. etc. We dry his tears and celebrate that the dog is o.k. Know what? The dog is o.k. every time! It is amazing.
Yesterday morning. . . . guess what. The car wash episode was on. I realized it before Garrison did and I sat to watch him. When he realized it, he began to get out of his chair. . . then stopped. He looked at me, waved his hands in front of him, and said, "I'm going to be fine mom. Just fine. Just fine." He looked back at the t.v., turned to me and said again, "I'm going to be just fine mom." I laughed out loud. What three year old watches Handy Manny and tells his mom that he'll be "just fine". And he was. . . just fine. . . until the car wash started again and the dog was in the back of the truck!!! At this point, he gets off the chair and announces, "I'm going to go hide in Noel's room."
Well, at least we've made some progress. :)
Don't we sometimes to the same thing? Many times, I know things are going to be o.k., but I just want to go hide in Noel's room. This is the same boy who went to Kohl's with me two days ago to return some stuff. As we were walking through the store he ran ahead to an exercise gadget display and said. "Oh mom, this is beautiful." Sure. As he gazed at a Billy Blanks' (Tae Bo guy?) gadget he says, "Hey mom, this is a good choice." "What is that Garrison?" "I don't know, but it would be a good idea." I just love this little boy.
1 comment:
i can SO relate to poor Garrison and his car wash fears. when i was a kid, our window on our SUPER COOL, BACK SEAT FACING THE BACK WINDOW, station wagon (you totally remember it don't you!!???:))SHATTERED while we were in the carwash. i think my mom forgot to put it in neutral. (i'll have to ask her about that). anyways, to this day, i'm still a little freaked out about them. in fact, a few days ago, i went to have my car washed, which by the way, i haven't done since september,(did i just say that outloud?) and when the gal said, "don't forget to put it in neutral" i actually laughed outloud and said, "you don't need to worry about THAT!" she looked at me like i was an idiot! if only she knew...!!
so, my dear garrison, there will come a day when that car wash won't be near as scary, in fact, you may even PAY $13.00 bucks to experience it! :)
Post a Comment