Friday, January 2, 2009

Food

Yup, another post with food in the title. Do I need to start Weight Watchers again or what?!? (monday by the way)

So, I'd love some tips from seasoned parents and others who know about children. I know that food issues are molehills, so I don't stress out about it, yet I'd like to do the best I can. My devotions this morning addressed the issue of passing on to our children what we desire. My first desire is that they know Jesus and walk with Him every day. In addition to many other things, I want them to eat well rounded meals, I don't want them to overeat, I want them to appreciated different types of foods, to like fruits and veggies. . . etc.

I refuse to be a short order cook for supper. I try to prepare something that everyone might like, but I only make one thing. Last night Garrison didn't want to eat his supper, so he went without. He finally took a bite before bed and then he was allowed to have fruit. He did manage to eat three corn dogs for lunch today. Perhaps he is anticipating another dinner that he doesn't like and is porking up. :) Our conversation at the table a few weeks ago went something like this. "Garrison, you may not have any more bun or sausage until you eat your grapes. Simon, you may not have any more broccoli or grapes until you eat more of your sausage. Noel, you may not have more sausage or grapes until you eat more of your bun." So crazy!?! Can you tell what each of my kids likes the least?

So, what are your house food rules? Does everyone have to take one bite of everything? Are some foods exempt from trying? Do you have to eat everything on your plate? Does there have to be a fruit or veggie at every meal? What rules did you grow up with that you liked or didn't like? I'd love your imput and thoughts. We are trying to establish some expectations at our house and now is a great time to do it.

Hope that you are enjoying the new year!

3 comments:

Rebecca: said...

Food, oh boy, what a topic. Growing up we had to eat a little of everything for supper. I do remember sitting for quite a while at the table after supper. :) We try to have a veggie at lunch and supper and 90% of our snacks are fruit. One thing that has worked so far for Lyida is that we serve mixed veggies a lot, so she can pick the veggies she feels like eating that day. However, she is a pretty good eater so far.

Joy Pierce said...

You crack me up!!! Our Clara would eat fruit over anything else. One day I looked at Joe and said "I'm not sure you should be telling her to stop eating her fruit and eat some meat"!!! Ha! Sounds to me like you're on the right track...offering good choices and not giving in to a different option if they don't like it. Try to steer clear of carb heavy snacks because it just seems to make them crave carbs more. When Harrison was little I made sure he got at least one cup of the 100% fruit/veggie juice daily to help boost that intake. For Clara I have to boost her protein intake, she would eat all fruit and veggies (I should learn from her). I remember hearing a long time ago that our taste buds change about every 7 years. I don't know if that's true or not. But when Harrison hit about 7, he started trying all kinds of new things. There are still things he doesn't like, but he eats all kinds of things I would never have eaten when I was his age. When we got home from China the first thing he wanted was spinach/artichoke dip....go figure!
Joy Pierce (WCF)

one blessed mama said...

what to make for meals????
it's the thorn in my side.
rye usually calls about 4, wondering what we're having for dinner. the answer is always the same....."i don't know, what are YOU cooking?" i know, i know, it's a sad, sad state of affairs with the husband is forced to choice the dinner menu. fyi....he loves to cook. i'm SSOOOO trying. last week however, i made a wonderful observation.....
i hate to cook because i never have all the right ingredients in my pantry!!! that's the honest truth. so rye and i went on monday night and bought all the 'staples'. could it be, i actually made dinner 2 nights in a row!???!!!!
it just dawned on me....you didn't ask for me to tell you all of thee above, you just wanted to know specifics. sorry, you know me....a little long winded.
so, here are the likkel household dinner time rules=

1.what you see is what you get. period.

2. you TRY what's on your plate. if you don't like it, you don't need to eat all of it but you do need to give it the 'old college try'!

3. we don't EVER criticize the cook. (it's just not everyone's gift to cook.) we are thankful that we have food. many go without. you criticize the cook, you'll be ONE of those people!!

4.no burping or other foul body sounds. if we hear it, you eat your dinner in the bathroom. no exceptions.

5.we sit with our food. not walk about the house with it. this is a hard one for the likkel boys.

6.you bring your dirty dishes to the sink. they've got this one down.they've been doing this since they have been walking. they have even been spotted doing it at their friends houses, or so i've been told. yea, they DO LISTEN! :)

7.we ALWAYS,ALWAYS thank God before putting a bit in our mouth!!! again, no exceptions. funny cuz when the boys sit down for a snack, they often ask if they 'need' to pray for this food? my answer is always "yes". there is no such thing as too much prayer.

there you have it. the 'in's and out's' of the likkel kitchen table, or the kitchen bar which is where we eat most our meals. i stand and deliver food, get drinks and refills, just like a good waitress should.

wow. didn't realize i had so much to say about our eating habits! hhmmmm....this just may be a contender for a blog entry over at 3littleand2bigliks.blogspot.com
:)
love you.
trac- :)