Thursday, January 8, 2009

We're doing great!

Did you read the title? We are doing great. Good. Fine.

It is amazing to me that there are those who don't believe me when I say that we are doing great. Why wouldn't that be believable? It isn't like I'm a stay-at-home mom with three kids three and under one of whom has been with us for less than two months and a husband who has been on call every other week for the past six weeks and who started doing Weight Watchers again on Monday.

Oh. . . I get it. There are those who would see that and think that I must be doing terrible, dreading every day, exhausted, wishing that it wasn't so. Yup, there are moments where things aren't the best. Isn't that true of everyone everywhere?

Let's look at the facts:
1. Stay-at-home-mom: I love what I do for a living. There are times when it is especially difficult and my boss will give me time and a half for a particularly challenging day. Considering that I make $0.00 and hour, that is quite the gift. :) Overall, I really enjoy every day. I love spending time with my kids, I love managing my house, I love being a wife and mom. I do miss teaching, but not with a yearning to go back. Perhaps God will give that to me at some point, but for right now, I couldn't be more happy with where I am.
2. Three kids three and under: I adore. . . ADORE my kids. Each one of them is unique and brings a new element of joy to each day. Garrison and his stories and creativity entertain me to no end. Simon's excitement (Good Jaa [Good Job]) makes me smile when he accomplishes a task such as climbing into his chair all by himself. He has done this for several weeks, but each time is worthy of praise for our little man. Make sure you tell him "Good Job" or he'll keep repeating it louder and louder until you do. Noel is a delight who never stops and overruns her destination with regularity and needs to back up to get into a door. She laughs and laughs and looks like Grandma Sternberg when she eats. I smile when I think about my kids. I wouldn't give them up, so why would I complain about three kids three and under?
3. Simon has been with us less than two months. God's blessings have been pouring out into our family in this regard. He is happy and adjusting and attaching so very well. He gets upset when he can't communicate with us like he wants to, but don't many 2 1/2 year olds who don't have all their vocabulary yet? He can say hundreds of words and understands even more. This bright boy is a great fit in our family and is in a good placement between Garrison and Noel. He balances them a bit. It is good. Plus, he now is even cuter after I gave him a haircut.
4. Gary on call. Yup, our trip to China messed up the rotation and he's been on call a lot. Guess what? I'm thankful that he has a job. Times are tough for many families here in West Michigan and we bless God.
5. Weight Watchers. I've done it before and I'll do it again. It feels good to be disciplined. I have to think more about meals and such, but for my health. . . I'll do it.

Yup, I'm tired. There is probably one night a month that we get to sleep straight through the night. There are many misunderstandings and time-outs during the day. There are many messes to be cleaned up. I know this will change and I'm going to enjoy these days while I have them.

So when you ask me how I'm doing? Don't be surprised if I say "Great" and it's true.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hi Shanda, this is Jennifer, your neighbor two doors down. I was messing around on facebook and saw your blog link so I have been lurking for a few weeks. Now I want to tell you that you are not alone! I had three under three several years back. Katie had just turned three when Josh was born. While I don't have the adoption experience, I do know what it's like! I wanted to tell you that I am thinking of you and if you ever need to talk I am here. I also have a blog, so if you are interested I can email you an invite. I keep it private for many reasons! But you are more than welcome! My email is jjacobs-agar@sbcglobal.net