Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentines Day

I'm not a huge "Valentine's Day" girl. I adore many of you who are. You whip up pink pancakes shaped like hearts, you give your kids sweet things, you receive wonderful gifts from your love, you go out for special dinners and wear special clothes.

Me? Not. so. much. Perhaps it is because I was single for so many years? I'm not exactly sure, but when my first boyfriend (his name was Gary) confessed that he wasn't a make-a-big-deal-about-Valentines-Day kind of a guy, and since we were already engaged, and since I agreeded. . . we haven't made a big deal of it. (Sorry for the run-on sentence!)

School has changed that. Big celebrations. Bring in the valentines please! I needed to get Valentines for both boys this year. I bought one box. . . for $2.99. . . and thought I was the coolest mom. They were sports cards. . . with tattoos! Now, what four year old wouldn't want a tattoo? We used to hope and hope that we'd get one in a Cracker Jack box, and now, my boys would be handing out one to every friend in class. Alas. . . .

My boys came home with valentines that were different than those I had sent with them. There was candy (lots of candy), beautiful cards, pencils, personalized picture cards. . . I'm just the $2.99 tattoo mom. Thankfully, they didn't think it was a big deal. Garrison and Simon were too busy looking through their candy. They each got a piece. . . they shared with their siblings. . . and little do they know, they just shared with their mom. They are in rest time, and I'm eating a bite size Snickers and Babe Ruth. Thanks. Perhaps Valentines Day is growing on me.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I totally agree!!! Paul and I never make a big deal out of Valentines' Day and that's how we prefer it. We were talking today about Emily's first year in day care and the night before the party I realized that we needed to find Valentines and Paul went to two different stores to find some at the last minute.

Then today I was having the same feelings. I filled out the kids cards for them - after they went to bed and didn't let them choose - on Wednesday night. When Emily came home from the party today, she emptied her bag and all but two of the other kids had included candy of some kind. I was feeling like the bad mom who didn't care to participate to that extent. Oh well. It's done. She doesn't know the difference. She was absolutely thrilled with her stuff - and mom and dad have already been enjoying the candy too.

I love how we think alike!