Charissa (the mom) chatted with me Friday when I dropped Simon off for school about how her son Jake was wondering if Simon could come over and play on Tuesday. Um. . . sure. . . sounds great.
I'm not sure on the "rules". I didn't even know Charissa's name until she called me and left a message on the answering machine. I have chatted with her a bit, smiled as we dropped off our sons, I graduated a year after her husband and worked with her brother-in-law at Camp Roger. . . she is quality I'm sure. I'm just not sure of what to do now? Thank-you note? Do I need to reciprocate? When? I'd love some advice from the parents who have been there/done that. How do these things work?
By the way: it seemed to go really well. Jake is also adopted and it is so wonderful to know that Simon won't be the only one in his class. He doesn't have white skin either, so this is another bonus. Plus, he is a sweetie. I do think that Simon might like to move in with them though: he came home with paintings (we don't paint with real paint in our house!) and balloon animals. :) Plus, he had pizza for lunch. It must be the coolest house ever.
2 comments:
Oh how fun! I don't know Jake that well, but it seems that he might think Simon is a pretty cool kid. :) Charissa's great - very sweet kids too. Glad it worked out!
I guess I don't have any advice about school play dates. From what I've heard my sister talk about them, I don't think you need to do a thank you note. If it works, it could be recipricated, but I think most moms are understanding of others situations now too and if you are busy or having a new baby or something, would understand. I don't know, though. I guess you'll have to ask someone else!
i'm the mom, who calls around, asking other moms what they know about a particular family before i send my kiddos off to their house. (wow, that was a big run on sentence!) it's so good to have those playdates and it's important that you also get to know the parents of the kids your kids play with. not so much with the little ones but now that my boys are a little older, and they do more and more sleepovers, i'm glad i took the time to get to know the families that they will be spending time with. these little ones need to know that we, parents are 'tag teaming'. i believe that they are less likely to get into trouble when they know they are being watched. :)
sorry, got off on a little the subject. what i'm saying is that playdates are a good thing! :)
Post a Comment