Thursday, June 17, 2010

adoption

I have had two conversations in the past twenty four hours with friends who are considering adoption. One sent my heart to the moon, the other broke it.

#1: A friend called yesterday afternoon and just wanted to talk through her and her husband's thinking about adoption. They are seriously thinking about "pulling the trigger" and beginning their homestudy. It is exciting to think that God is moving their hearts in this way. It was such an honor to listen to her (despite Noel's crying the entire time: good grief!) and to encourage her and her husband on the joys and possible challenges of adoption. I will certainly keep praying for their family.

#2: I knew that another friend from school was thinking about adoption. We had chatted about it and I would send her information about seminars etc. She shared with me this morning that they had been put in touch with a young woman. This woman had called the local Christian radio station one night saying that she was pregnant and her boyfriend wanted her to get an abortion. He had even given her the money to do it. The DJ had talked and prayed with her and she decided not to get the abortion. The DJ found out the my friend was thinking about adoption and put the two families in touch. My friend was excited. They began to pray and to get excited about adding another person to their fantastic family. They discovered yesterday, that even though the young girl had told them she would have her baby and give it to them, she changed her mind and went ahead with the abortion. Oh, how this just makes my soul cry out to God. Why God? WHY? I hurt for my friend, this young girl, and the loss of this tiny child of God.

I'm against abortion and for adoption, but these two completely unrelated incidents totally make them more personal for me. I need to keep praying. More often. With more earnestness. For both issues.

No comments: