Friday, June 25, 2010

Dinner

We are so very blessed. Apparently, having a fourth child when your oldest is still four is some cause for alarm. :) I laugh. Yes, we are busy. Yes, sometimes I'm not the best mother. Yes, sometimes. . . o.k. all the time my house is in a bit of distress. I hear it calling, but some things will just have to wait.

What I'm amazed at is the blessings that are overflowing from the community around us. I'm talking food people. We have had so many dinners brought to us. Now, I love to cook, so initially I was thinking that this wasn't necessary, that it wasn't a big deal, that I really shouldn't accept a meal. Guess what?!? It is a BIG DEAL! It makes our afternoons better. It lessons the stress of Penny's crabby time and Gary's arrival home after work. It gives me new tastes. The clean-up is so much easier. It teaches our kids about giving to others. . . and accepting gifts (something that I struggle with and don't want to pass on to my ducks). I'm amazed at how I've appreciated this very simple gift: dinner.

I was thinking this morning that perhaps this gift should be given more often. Oh, not always a whole dinner, but what about something small. My mom for years has had a bread ministry. She bakes bread every week (love her!) and delivers a loaf to someone. Imagine just getting a loaf of bread, a plate of cookies, a quiche, a stromboli. . . . I think I'd like to do that. I'd like to share with my community, not because they gave dinner to me, but because I love them. I'll use reasons like, "Congrats on your baby!" "I'm so sorry for your loss." "You make me happy." "It's Wednesday!" Imagine if we just blessed people. I want to do that. Right now. . . perhaps not. But in the future. . . I want to be a blessing.

No comments: