Saturday, June 19, 2010

June 19, 2004

Today is Gary and Shanda's wedding anniversary. Six years ago I had one of the best days of my life. I got to marry Gary. I got to stand with family and friends while we honored and praised God for what He had done in our lives. I was able to get married on the same date as my parents, my grandparents, and my great-grandparents. I was given a ring that held diamonds that were once in Gary's grandmother's ring. I'm so sappy like that. I'm so glad that I didn't marry the man of my dreams.

What?!? Are you shocked? I'll repeat it. I'm so very thankful that I didn't marry the man of my dreams. In my 20's, I had dreams for the man that I was going to marry. He'd be tall. I think that I somehow thought this because my brothers are tall and so many of my Dutch friends are tall. I just always thought it would be that way. I thought I'd marry a teacher: I'm a teacher and together we'd do tons of camping in the summers. He might be a Camp Roger man and probably a Calvin grad. He'd love to watch sports on Sundays and have a really big family just like mine. Guess what? Gary isn't what you'd consider tall. . . he may even be a smidge shorter than me. Gary is a field engineer for AT&T and had never heard of Calvin let alone Camp Roger when I met him. He has one sister and isn't even Christian Reformed. I know: SHOCKER! He enjoys watching sports on occasion, but life doesn't stop for any particular team.

Thankfully, God saw much better what I needed. He saw my heart. None of the above dreams were things of the heart. Gary is my steady eddy. I tend to be very emotional, he isn't. He loves that I bring emotion and passion to his life. I love it that he is so very grounded and helps me to do the same. He has helped me better explore my faith. I'm not defined by my denomination, rather I am a true blue hallelujah believer. God knew I needed to look beyond the boxes in my life. I'm much more accepting and open towards others now. I love it that his family is different than mine. They give me things that my family can't, and I do the same for them. Though I still wish I had summers off, I've learned more about the working world than I knew before. I also think it's cool that we can take a day off here and there for fun family things during the school year. Teachers aren't allowed to do that. There are also fewer night meetings.

God knew that I would want to have my head or feet (or both) rubbed every night. I'd want someone who would call me in the middle of the day to tell me that he was praying for me, or that he really liked the supper that I made the night before. I needed someone who was open to adoption. Someone who was willing to move away from his stability and his friends and move to West Michigan so that our future kids (at the time) could be close to family. He is a handyman (nothing I ever asked the Lord about but am so thankful for) who can fix or fanagle almost anything around our house. He doesn't mind that our house isn't picked up all the time. He loves to wrestle with our kids which makes my heart so happy. God knew I needed someone who gave up worrying years ago and challenges me to do the same. He is the head of our household and I trust him with the position completely. I trust his judgement. He stands before God to do what is right and will always put my needs first. He opened the door of my car for me on our first date and I've been smitten ever since. No man ever treated me the way that Gary treats me. He makes me feel like I'm worth more than eight cows.

See, God decided to give me what was best for me and in the process, I married someone who went beyond what I was dreaming. I love it when God does that. I'm praying that God does the same for my four precious gifts someday.

1 comment:

one blessed mama said...

what a wonderful way to honor your husband. he is a dear, dear man! remember that song by Garth Brooks? (please tell me you know who he is, right? :)) anywho...the song is called 'unanswered prayers'. i think of that often when counting my blessings. check out the words online. it's a good one! love u dear friend.