Sunday, May 8, 2011

Crying twice--written on Mother's Day and published twice. We'll see if this time works. :)

I've cried twice today. (This is Shanda by the way, not Gary.) :)
Gary asked what I wanted for Mother's Day. I'm not a huge gift kinda girl, so I asked for time. I asked that he and the kids make breakfast for me. When he asked what I wanted, I said to surprise me.

He dutifully got out of bed early and went to manage the kids. Everyone was up and I could hear (I was awake of course) the noise of folks working in the kitchen. Around 7:20, I heard lots of shouting and other merriment as the whole troop came into the bedroom to "wake me up". They wished me Happy Mother's Day and gave me a beautiful card that they had colored themselves. It was awesome. Then, I got up and went to the table. I cried because I was so touched by what they had done. Every kid (save Penny--although I'm sure she clapped for them) had helped. Oranges, carrots, and an egg and cheese sandwich complete with a flower that was picked from outside. It was absolutely perfect! It was overwhelming that this group had given to me something that I have given to them so often.

Then, at church this morning, Pastor George read a book to the kids. In it, Chester the raccoon is afraid to go to school so his mama gives him a kiss on his hand that can not be washed away. Pastor George then asked all the kids to give their parents a kiss on the hand so that they could always be together, just like Chester does for his mother at the end of the book. Following the book, the kids were excused to Children's Worship. Noel decided to stop by her mom rather than go with all the kids. As I tried to tell her to go, she grabbed my left hand, opened it up, and kissed it. I was so touched. She then skipped off to Children's Worship stopping half way up the aisle, calling my name, and blowing me another kiss when I turned around. So very sweet.

I'm thankful every day that I get to be a mom. I'm thankful that God chose to give us four kids that I really like. I'm thankful for a mom across the world who chose life for her son and abandoned him rather than kill him. I'm thankful for my mom and how she continues to teach me about motherhood, being a wife, and walking with the Saviour. I'm thankful for those who are mom figures in the lives of my kids. I'm thankful for a mother-in-law who offers me so much encouragement every time I talk with her.

May we appreciate family every day and not just on holidays. :)

1 comment:

Melissa Batusic said...

Amen. Being a mommy is such a blessing. So sweet of them all to bring you breakfast :)