This morning I had a little moment when I went out to the trash to throw away the latest dirty diaper (which have grown ever more stinky since Penny is enjoying meat these days!). Inside the trash can was my hurricane flag. While living in Miami, my best friend Karen and I purchased hurricane flags: one for each of us. We lived through Hurricane Georges as well as other numerous hurricane warnings not to mention we cheered for the Miami Hurricanes while living there. We kept our flags while living together again in Chicago and would display them during appropriate events.
The flag has been sitting in the garage on a shelf since we moved here. It came out during an organizing spree (thanks Gary!) and the kids played with it and promptly broke it (another post grrr) prompting Gary to throw it away.
The garbage is probably the best place for the broken flag. I haven't displayed it since we moved here. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I used it at all. I'm not even sure that Karen still has her flag. I haven't thought about it for years, yet when I came back into the house after seeing the flag in the trash, I was sad, a bit put out, a little crabby, and teary. How silly! It is a flag.
I've been trying to figure out what caused that reaction. It doesn't seem to be about a flag in the garbage. Perhaps it is a reminder of a piece of me that no one here even knows about. There is only one person who I can share with about my time in Miami. Maybe I grieve a little bit that the Shanda from Miami isn't really around anymore. I think I see the flag as a trigger to memories--memories that I don't want to lose. The flag leads me to think and celebrate the amazing years that I had in Miami. Maybe I won't remember without the flag?!? I don't know. Like the title suggests--I'm sappy. Can anyone else relate?
Gary pulled the flag out before he left for work. I'm still divided about whether to throw it away or not. Head vs. Heart
4 comments:
What is a hurrican flag and what is it used for?
"take a picture, dump the item and remember the memories"
-a quote from a very wise man.
(my baby brother. :))
Nancy--a hurricane flag is actually two red flags with black squares in the middle. They are stacked on top of one another. They used to be used more to warn of hurricanes that were approaching--see the flag and get off the water or out of your house etc. Today, they still are flown but more in symbolism as we have the internet and lots of other warning devices etc.
Traci-I know! I know!--Brady is smart and I've heard you say it before.
Don't forget, you have a piece of Miami sunshine that will always be with you! And the Miami Shanda will always be in your heart, she is part of your story. Remember Miami could say this to you too!
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...
Post a Comment