We began dating the beginning of September and declared ourselves boyfriend and girlfriend after Karen met him and declared to me he was a good guy. (I needed approval then and now--therapy anyone?) We went to meet my parents at the beginning of October and I met his folks at the end of October. We were talking marriage by then.
Enter Gary's grandparents. Because we were going to be at my parent's house for Thanksgiving, we decided to invite Gary's parents and grandparents to his house and we'd cook a Thanksgiving dinner for them. It was at this dinner that I met Grandma Arlene and Grandpa Elmer. Grandma Arlene greeted me with a hug and proclaimed that she had been waiting so long to meet Gary's girl. I loved both of them. They were feisty. They were kind to me. They adored Gary. After dinner, Grandma Arlene announced that she liked me. She told Gary that he'd better get on it. She had been waiting so long for him to get married and he should not make her wait any longer. He was after all old and she was too. Little did I know that while I was upstairs going to the bathroom, Gary showed all of them the ring that he had purchased for me.
As they left, Dad, Mom, Grandpa, and Grandma decided that they would vote survivor style as to whether I was allowed to stay in the family. Dad claims that he cast the deciding vote to keep me in. Grandma insisted for years that it wasn't true. They left and I knew that I wanted to be a part of this family.
Yesterday I said good-bye to Grandma Arlene's ashes. We gathered around with family. Dad did an amazing job of leading us in a small service and I was honored that he asked me to lead in singing Amazing Grace. I loved standing with this family. I laughed as we told great stories about her and cried with dad as he read Psalm 23. What comfort. What an amazing family. What a glorious God.
Today we'll have a memorial service. Gary has been asked to read from scripture. I'm sure that I'll cry again as I remember many things that I loved about Grandma.
She was an amazing baker.
She dressed great and thought that we should too, especially for church.
She loved chocolate and would always have a stash hidden somewhere.
She had a tough childhood, yet held no resentments.
She adored her Elmer and he adored her. They were a great example of what marriage should be.
She began her own business while in her 40's.
She was feisty and spoke her mind, even when it might cause. . ahem. . a bit of a fight.
She got shorter as she aged, yet she was quite tall in my mind.
I'm so thankful for the family that God has placed in my life. Sure, Grandma had faults. I do too. I'm thankful that when I see her again she'll be greeting me at the gates of heaven and we'll both be perfect. We'll laugh again and I'll tell her all about her great-grandchildren. She'll have made way too many goodies and we'll enjoy them all. They will all have chocolate and extra nuts in them.
Thanks God for creating Arlene Mae Henriksen. Have a great time together.
1 comment:
i'm sorry for your loss sprick family!
she sounded like a wonderful lady!
Post a Comment