Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Weeds

I finally went out to weed my flower beds and my garden this afternoon. The girls were sleeping and the weather was lovely.

The weeds were fierce. Not because of the great soil. Not because of any fertilizer. It was because I have neglected them. It has been too hot, too rainy, too busy, too too too for me to accomplish weeding. It felt good to pull them up and have the gardens look a ton better. It felt good to put them in a huge pile. It feel good to have dirty hands. It did not feel good to be itchy all over--I'm allergic to something out there.

Though things look better, things also aren't looking good. My poor tomatoes. I found several plants that have been suffocated by said weeds. Imagine if I had kept up with things! Imagine how many tomatoes I would have been able to share or can or eat or just plain admire? Past summers have yielded beautiful tomato plants. . . this year not so much. Poor things.

I have a friend who prays for others when she weeds. She also sees weeding as comparable to her sin in her life. She needs to get rid of the yuck that seems to take root and grow. Today was a great example of that. As I was attacking the wicked weeds in the garden and seeing the pathetic tomato plants. . . I did wonder if there was an area in my life that needed some serious weeding. Food for thought.

For now though, I'll be enjoying some of the tomatoes that are available. My flowers look great. The yard is in order. I just need to keep up with it yes? Yes.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

A bunch of people I've talked to have not had good tomatoes this year. Ours really have not grown while everything else in the garden has. Hopefully you will still get some in the next few weeks.

LJFredricks said...

Our tomatoes all fell when we hand that very windy storm. We staked them up but they haven't been the same since. THere are lots of green tomatoes but all the leaves are dead. I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one.