Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Life in a hotel

We are so thankful that we have a great place to stay.  Comfort Inn Thousand Oaks.  Not sure why the Thousand Oaks title--I wish there were 1000 oaks here.  Some shade would be sweet!  Every day has been over one hundred degrees here in the south.  I met a sweet woman at the pool who told me all about her family reunion in "jew-lie".  I also caught her and her husband doing a little kissing in the hot tub.  They are in their 70s and from Little Rock.  They are so kind and honest.  I know this because they told me my kids were well-behaved.  They also looked my kids in the eye and listened to them.  I like it when folks do that.  I also like it that after their little "somethun somethun" in the hot tub was interrupted by the ducks, they continued to sit by each other.  I hope that Gary and I sit by each other in a hot tub when we are 70.  I hope we get caught kissing too.

Sleeping in a hotel.  Come on mamas and papas!  Raise your hand and give me a witness.  Hotels are awesome and I love staying in them--freshly made beds, clean towels, trash that disappears, unlimited toilet paper, and lemony smell.  Good times.  Being in a hotel with four children--more challenging.  I'd like for them to all be tired at the same time and to all get up at the same time--preferably after 7:00.

We've had the same breakfast for four mornings.  The staff are super sweet to us--we take up a significant amount of space.  The great thing about the hotel breakfast is we know exactly what is available.  The kids know what they like and we are very well prepared.  They did discover the doughnuts yesterday morning.  We were hoping they wouldn't see them at all--alas.  No big deal.  Doughnuts for the ducks!  The pool opens at 9:00, so they'll work it off quickly.

The unique thing about breakfast in Branson are the visitors.  Every morning we are visited by representatives from area shows.  They come in all dressed up and with brochures.  Garrison of course loves the brochures!  He has quite the collection.  Considering there are over 300 different ones in the lobby and he can take one every time we go out--(Shanda shaking her head)--Garrison is living his dream.  Neil Diamond came this morning.  Not the real one silly, but one of the four people actually authorized in the entire "You-knighted States" by the Neil Diamond estate.  Can you believe it?  We got to meet him and he chatted with our kids, admired their waffles, and gave us one brochure.  One turned into four as every child wanted one.  Noel liked his sparkly jacket.  I liked his bad wig.  It made me smile. Yesterday morning Lloyd came to visit and he plays the "ge-tar".  He has a show "Tues-dee thru Sun-dee".  He'd love to see us.  Janice, who keeps the powdered eggs stocked and ready to eat dutifully said her line when asked by Lloyd.  "Janice, what do you think?" "It's a good show."

Our van is bottoming out because it is filled with trading cards.  Dad had quite the collection.  Hopefully we'll make it home by tomorrow night.  I'm looking forward to my own bed and being a Yankee.

No comments: