Clean up at checkout 13.
Every week I take 4 children to Meijer (local grocery store). I do this because our family needs groceries--duh. When they ask me why they have to go with me I generally reply that "Dad and I have decided that we will feed you this week." I rarely go at night all by myself. Why? 1. I'm tired. 2. It is my time with Gary. I protect this pretty fiercely. Though there are many nights when we are apart (movie night for him, get-together with a friend or two, etc) we both enjoy our evenings of cuddling on the couch and talking or watching t.v. I like him. I like to be with him. Since getting groceries is something I can do with my kiddos, I'll do it during the day. 3. Meijer seems to be less busy in the morning.
Though so many things have happened to me while grocery shopping, today was a new one. While sitting in the cart, after she had tried to get out declaring she was making a "poo-poo pants", Penny reached over (this girl is quick!), grabbed the milk off of the belt, and promptly dropped it on the floor. The gallon burst. There is a lot of milk in a gallon, especially so when it is all over the floor. This of course was after she had taken a bite out of the peppers, opened three boxes of cereal while throwing bits of cardboard on the floor, sucked on several frozen packages, and thrown her baby Kimmy on the floor several times. She also had sung "I Love you Lord", given me kisses, and repeated everything I asked her to say. I'll take the bad if I get those kind of goods.
The cashier handed me several paper towels. I looked at her and tried not to laugh while I was continually apologizing and trying to answer three adorable ducks who asked questions and made comments like "How did that happen? Is that milk? Did Penny do that? You need to clean that up. How much does this gum cost? Can I spend my five cents? What can I get for five cents? This is a huge mess mom." The cashier said that the paper towels were for me, to clean myself up.
I hadn't realized that I had milk all over my pants and shirt. How funny that my last thought is cleaning myself up. When did that happen? I think that after six plus years of being a mama, I've come to expect that I'm dirty. Crumbs, spit up, muddy prints, shirts I've worn for three days, hair that might just have to make it one more day. . . I think I'm dirty most of the time.
I asked the three older ducks to sit on a bench. I apologized again. I gave knowing looks to folks that tried to get in line behind me and then saw the milk pond. The cashier turned off her light indicating she was now closed. Someone came to help with more paper towels and then shook his head as he headed off to get a mop. I told Penny we were not going to ride the penny pony today. I paid--over budget this week.
Now I'm realizing that my jeans smell a little like sour milk. I will not be able to wash them before we go out tonight to celebrate the boys reading (free tickets to at White Caps game!). Hey,it'll be o.k. We'll be outside. Plus, I think I'm always a bit stinky.
1 comment:
Subtract a child and change the names and this story could be mine. Always dirty. Always buying peppers with bites out of them and open cracker boxes. Always apologizing. And even the milk... though my experience was in the back of the van, not the check out aisle.
It's just how things roll with us. Thank you for making me not alone in this motherhood thing.
Post a Comment