Friday, June 1, 2012

"Hitting hand to forehead. . . over and over"

It happened.  Since I've been a mom. . . well since my family and marriage class at Calvin College, I've been preparing for children that might not always. . . be the best ever.  Professor Holsteg (God bless him) looked us in the eye one night and said "Some of you are going to have ugly babies.  We've all seen them.  There are ugly babies and you will be some of the parents.  Get ready.  Some of you will have juvenile delinquents.  Your kid may end up in jail!  Are you ready for that?  Be ready."

I've thought about that often.  I wanted to be ready.  Gary and I have already talked through the possibilities of our children being a bully, getting caught cheating, getting arrested, getting or getting someone else pregnant, doing drugs. . . etc.  Though I hope and pray that these things don't happen, I recognize that they do and they could happen in our family.

So today I received an e-mail from the boys' teacher.  She wanted to discuss some things with me, things that can't be taken care of with e-mail.  "Don't panic" she wrote.  My first summons.  I called Gary and went in covered by him in prayer.  There are a few issues we need to address with the boys--they are trying to be silly in class and they don't quite have the filters they need.  We are certainly going to address that.  We will stand behind our teacher.  You betcha.  BUT as I was sitting and listening to Maestra Zondervan I suddenly felt like my mom.  I experienced the very same thing that happened to her when my brother Kevin was in second grade.  Garrison just did it sooner.  He peed on the playground.  During recess.  In front of other kids.  And a first grade teacher.  And he wasn't sorry.

I'm shaking my head.  I'm laughing a little.  I'm wondering how we are going to get it through his head that his privates are indeed private.  Peeing outside is something Garrison seems to like.  So does his mama truth be told.  We'll take care of it.  We'll be serious when we address this issue.  Hopefully this offence won't lead him toward prison. :)

No comments: