Last night while sitting watching Antiques Road Show (was that out loud) I suddenly slammed my hand on my leg. I checked my calendar and sure enough--Garrison had his first baseball practice of the season and I had forgotten. While talking with Gary on the phone I paused for a few seconds and yelled outside to Penny (who had peed in her pants) to "stop drinking that water out of the yard. It is yucky!". Gary's voice went up a few notches as he reminded me that I (me!) had put fertilizer on the lawn the night before and it needed to be rained in. We had all played outside. In the grass. My girls had for almost an hour. Um. . . wash their hands. Have Penny drink other liquids. I put Penny in the shower. She always drinks water when she is in there right?!?
I'm a normal parent. I forget things. I make mistakes. I apologized to Garrison this morning as he curled up on my lap--not so easy these days--the curling up, not the apologizing. I'm getting good at that.
However, there are other things that I'm doing right! I curbed my anger this week-end when I wanted to just yell at one of the ducks. I made lunches for those who needed them today. I didn't gain weight this week-end for the first time in months! (This is a huge victory for me!!!!) Five loads of laundry done and PUT AWAY yesterday. I tried to help kids rollerblade.
My guess is that you are regular too. . . whether you are a mom, dad, sister, brother, grandparent, son or daughter. Regular people. Not superhuman. Not perfect. Not horrible. We aren't locking our kids in a closet or giving them only two slices of bread a day.
I'm a regular mom and I'm proud of it. Sure I keep trying to get better, but I will not beat myself up. Don't beat yourself up either. Learn and move on. Guess what--I might just remember to keep my kids inside the next time I fertilize. Guess what? It is raining. Woo-Hoo! We can play outside again tomorrow.
1 comment:
love. joining the ranks of regular moms...
Post a Comment