We just had a breakthrough. Hard, but good.
What started as a little scuffle between two children became a big deal. Have you been there? Little things get bigger and it is easy to miss the point? I helped by getting mad. That doesn't add clarity, but instead it generates fear. I'm learning. Lying does that to me. When children lie to me I blow a gasket.
I have one Little who lies more than the others. This Little is very good at deflecting wrong, at reflecting what others have done wrong because they are way worse. Through all of the "figuring it out" this time, a phrase was uttered and I got it. I had talked too much, but finally there was a breakthrough. "I don't want to apologize to her. I don't like to be wrong." Aha. This is the root. It was stated and it is truth.
Now we have something to work with. Now we can strip away all of the baloney and pettiness and being mean and extra words. Now I can sit and talk about God and how I sin every single day. I can talk about how wonderful forgiveness is. I can say that we can't move on without admitting that we are wrong. I can say all of that. I can hug and talk quietly. I can remind both of us how much Christ loves us, but in order to accept the forgiveness He offers we have to admit that we are wrong and NEED His forgiveness. Then I can wait until Little comes out of the room to really apologize.
Then I can reflect and praise God for using the Holy Spirit. I can pray and ask for help in identifying this again in the future. I can ask for guidance about how to teach this concept of admitting wrong and not deflecting. How can I create a safe environment to admit wrong while still having consequences? How can I teach these matters of the heart?
Then I can get punched in the gut by the Holy Spirit because I see that adults are really good at doing this. We justify sin all the time because "she was way worse" and "it was only in this situation" and "it didn't really hurt anyone" and "they deserved it". Sometimes I am mean. I don't like to admit when I am wrong either. Ugh! So much growing to do! Thankfully, my God loves me and isn't done working with me. In my devotions this morning from Daniel 9:20 Daniel is praying to God and confessing his sin. I do not think about Daniel as needing to confess sin! If he did it, then I certainly need to be doing it more. Holy Spirit, help me to see more of my sin. Point it out so that I can confess it to God the Father and be forgiven through the blood of Jesus Christ!
1 comment:
good, good thots.
I too have a 'little' that seems to do this often. even when there is really NO reason to lie. so, SO maddening.
you put it back into perspective.
thank you.
Post a Comment