Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Oh I'm different

We've had a different sort of week here at Sprick Nation.  I used to balk at the term "Sprick Nation".  My brother Kevin gave it to us. . . but over time I've embraced it.  It is us.  Last spring we sat down with every kid and asked them what they might be interested in doing for a special summer activity.  One of the things that both Garrison and Noel chose was Kids Rock Camp.  It is a day camp held at Zeeland Christian, though not affiliated with the school.  They have been having a blast.  They are tired.  Way tired.  Super tired.

Simon has been attending Star Wars Science Camp at Hope College this week.  He is doing well, although he is a bit disappointed.  There has been less Star Wars and more science than what he thought.  There have been some high points though.  He got a light saber (AMAZING--and he gets to take it home on Friday).  If you are a seven year old Star Wars geek--this is super cool.  He also made some sweet paper airplanes.  They studied how things fly.

While I was waiting in line to pick him up (we have to show a special card for them to release our child) I saw a mama greet her child.  The conversation went something like this.

Mom I got to touch a snake today.
I hope it was dead.
Nope, it was a boa.
Seriously?  Don't touch live snakes.  How does that fit with Star Wars?  I think your teachers went off topic today.

My mind ran as they walked off.  My first thought was "That is so awesome that my kid got to touch a snake.  He loves touching snakes!  Why does this mama not want her kids to touch live snakes?  Poor kid."  Simon emerged and was thrilled that he was able to touch lizards, frogs, a chinchilla and a python.  Plus he had Jedi training and "had to do moves".  Today was his best day.

I fought against judging the other mama and instead turned my thoughts toward my joy in that there are different mamas out there.  I'm glad there are mamas who work outside the home.  They make my life better by what they do and they are great examples to my kids.  I'm thankful that there are mamas who enjoy triathlons because that sounds awful to me!  My kids need to see that people do that and like doing it.  I don't.  Nope. I want them to know it is wonderful if they like it.  I'm thankful there are mamas who are concerned about keeping kids on track in Star Wars Science camp.  :)

For today my kid got to touch a snake.  I'm especially thankful because he saw one in our yard yesterday and wasn't able to catch it.  Go for it Simon.  Catch snakes.  Eat crayfish.  Do Lego's for 2 hours.  I love being your mama and I'm thankful for the mamas who are different than me.

1 comment:

one blessed mama said...

I've missed you! haven't been on any blogs for the summer. looking forward to school being back in session so I can surf the web for hours at a time. ;)
I love you different mama!