It's been way too long yes?!?
I'm back today with three Penny stories. Are you ready?
1. I had conferences with Penny's teacher on Monday morning. We prayed together and then she shared with me how Penny is doing in class. She knows all of her colors and shapes (Yes. She. Does.). What tickled me the most was that Mrs. Wolters handed me a paper and said that Penny was doing really well with cutting! CUTTING! It made me laugh out loud so much that Mrs. Wolters asked me what was going on. I shared with her the pajama story and the tablecloth story. That might Penny found a pair of scissors in the basement and proceeded to give one of Garrison's stuffed animal angry birds a haircut. She was punished. I laughed afterwards.
2. Last night at church we were finishing up dinner. Promptly at 6:45 VBS music is turned on and all the kids race out of the gym for their classes. The adult programs begin at 7:00. It works well. Both Noel and Penny were still finishing their dessert when the music sounded so I assured them they could finish and head downstairs when they were done. After about a minute, the music was turned off so the adults could continue their conversations. Noel finished, cleared her spot, and headed downstairs. Penny and I chilled out. Are we clear? Here is a recap. 1. Kids gone. 2. Music off. 3. Penny still upstairs. Penny finished her cake and said that she was ready to go down and she wanted to hear the VBS music. I told her that the music was done, but she could still go downstairs and I would go with her if she wanted. It was at this point that our friend Mr. Jones joined us as Penny's face fell. She climbed over to me and laid her head on my shoulder and began to get teary. She explained to Keith Jones and me that she needed her VBS songs! She wanted to leave and couldn't without her VBS songs! She wasn't hysterical or making a scene. . . she was just very very sad. Sad Penny. Then Mr. Jones stepped up to the grace plate. "I can turn them on for you if you want." "Keith, you don't have to do that. We can work it out. Plus, I don't want to bother all of these adults." "So what?!? I'm going to go do it." He got up. "Wow. Thanks. Just put it on quietly, you don't have to be loud." "Oh, it'll be loud." You should have seen his smile. I leaned in towards Penny and whispered that she should listen. I wiped away her tears and we waited cheek to cheek. The music blared and she jumped for joy. "VBS songs mom!!!" She danced her way out of the gym and I danced too as I followed her out. I turned to smile my thanks at Keith. The music lasted about 15 seconds. It was only 15 seconds, but it changed the world for my daughter. Most folks will never know why the music mysteriously came on again that night. I know. :)
3. After church on Wednesday nights the kids are all riled up. It is hard to get everyone in bed and settled down. Penny had a very difficult time. Around 9:30 I finally crawled into bed with her and snuggled with her. She told me that she could not sleep. I didn't say anything, but I just began to stroke her hair and her face. I watched her slowly settle down. . . watched her eyelids flicker. . . felt her body relax. I thought it was about over until she suddenly opened her eyes and turned to face me. We were both on our sides and facing each other with her almost asleep when she took both of her hands and put them on either side of my face. Then she fell asleep. I spent several minutes praying for her while she held me face loosely in her hands. I can't believe that I get to parent this very special gift from God. Then she shifted in her sleep and turned. I carefully slid out of her bed and turned off her closet light (we are in a little bit of a scared phase). She immediately woke up and cried and screamed for me to turn it back on! Oh well. . . the moment was nice there for a little bit. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment