Saturday, March 28, 2009

$1.10

I've been "couponing". I'm cutting up the Sunday paper, organizing (as much as this crazy girl can), planning. . . getting the best deals that I can. As my friend Beth taught me, it is a way for me to earn some money for the family. I'm doing great as well. I'm even on the Internet printing some great coupons. I'm actually enjoying it. I call Gary after our weekly grocery run to inform him of how much we've saved this week. My deal man is proud, and I think he laughs at me when we get off the phone.

What I didn't realize was that Noel was worth money. I'm standing in front of the sale granola bars at Meijer deciding which flavors to purchase. I can get four boxes because that is how many coupons I have. Suddenly, I hear a woman gasp behind me. I turn and she tells me that my daughter is so beautiful. Greater truth can not be told. She walks away and turns again to gaze at Noel. As I turn back to decide between Peanut Butter/Chocolate Chip and Cookies-n-Cream, she proceeds to tell me that her daughter who is now twelve looked just like Noel. No wonder she things Noel is beautiful. Then, she asks me if I'd like to use a coupon that she has for the granola bars. Of course I'd love a coupon. Thanks. I add another box to my cart, thank Noel for waving at folks, and move on.

I happen upon this mom again in front of the Pillsbury biscuits. They are on sale and I HAVE COUPONS. She sees me and offers me another coupon for the biscuits. I mention that I might have to follow her around the store.

Noel's beauty and general kindness netted us an extra $1.10. I think I'll have to make sure she's all cleaned up and in her cute clothes when we go grocery shopping. Perhaps she'll continue to do "her part". :)

1 comment:

one blessed mama said...

$1.10...you're half way to a Starbucks Tall Mocha! :)
where are you getting all the great coupons? our grocery store has a 'no need to cut coupon deal'...if i use my Safeway card, they say i get all the deals. i find that hard to believe. (could it be the dutch in me??) i'm sure i could save SO MUCH MORE!!
so, fellow smart shopper...what's your secret?